should i dare wire/connect my vintage Neve 1272`s myself? or go to pro?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
drpat said:
canidoit said:
I don't understand how people here can't relate to his frustration. Hes come in here asking an innocent question initially and now hes going to end up spending more money than he originally planned.

I don't think I got the vibe that anybody was ever trying to persuade him to not dive into the DIY thing, as much as we have been directly answering his original question about this specific project. The fact that he's going to spend more money than he initially planned is part of the DIY lifestyle, and was mostly due to him accepting equipment from the pro that was not in fully working condition. That was nobody's fault but his. He simply made a bad business deal.

The honor of owning vintage gear can be a very expensive proposition, especially for somebody who doesn't yet have the chops to support the lifestyle. If you buy a '67 Ferrari in non-working condition, you'd better be a knowledgeable Ferrari mechanic, or wealthy enough to pay somebody to get it working for you. That's not the caliber of car that you should be learning your skills on. The same basic rules of life apply to this situation.

His original question was... "should i dare wire/connect my vintage Neve 1272`s myself? or go to pro?". Most of the people who chimed in on this thread advised him to let a pro do it. Apparently, the pro couldn't figure it out, and left him holding the bag to troubleshoot something that the pro couldn't even solve. Personally, i think this is waaaaaaay over his head as a first project, and maybe a basic electronic class would be a good place for him to start, or at the very least, some kind of basic kit that he can afford to make mistakes on. This is good advice for anybody who wants to try tackling a project like this.
I was referring to his original thread "WTB: a NEVE style 1272 dual preamp!" which has led to this thread. I hope you do end up getting it working, then sell it in the future when you have recovered some use or money from it because honestly, I think you would have been better off with a production model "clone". In my opinion, the difference between a clone and originals/vintage is subjective when you are talking about high end gear. I think you would have been more than happy even with the Vintech 1272, Ma5, BAE 1272, etc.

It's great to read people here pitching in to help you out and I don't blame you for being frustrated. I too would be, it's a large investment you have made and the last 5% to finish it can be the most frustrating out of it all!

Good luck mate :)

drpat said:
canidoit said:
I don't understand how people here can't relate to his frustration. Hes come in here asking an innocent question initially and now hes going to end up spending more money than he originally planned.

I don't think I got the vibe that anybody was ever trying to persuade him to not dive into the DIY thing, as much as we have been directly answering his original question about this specific project. The fact that he's going to spend more money than he initially planned is part of the DIY lifestyle, and was mostly due to him accepting equipment from the pro that was not in fully working condition. That was nobody's fault but his. He simply made a bad business deal.

The honor of owning vintage gear can be a very expensive proposition, especially for somebody who doesn't yet have the chops to support the lifestyle. If you buy a '67 Ferrari in non-working condition, you'd better be a knowledgeable Ferrari mechanic, or wealthy enough to pay somebody to get it working for you. That's not the caliber of car that you should be learning your skills on. The same basic rules of life apply to this situation.

His original question was... "should i dare wire/connect my vintage Neve 1272`s myself? or go to pro?". Most of the people who chimed in on this thread advised him to let a pro do it. Apparently, the pro couldn't figure it out, and left him holding the bag to troubleshoot something that the pro couldn't even solve. Personally, i think this is waaaaaaay over his head as a first project, and maybe a basic electronic class would be a good place for him to start, or at the very least, some kind of basic kit that he can afford to make mistakes on. This is good advice for anybody who wants to try tackling a project like this.

FYI the 1272´s were perfectly working when they left me.
So please do not blame me that Ions tech could not wire up the mating connector.
I have over and over tried to explain how to do it and even sent out a clear schematic with hookup info but I sometimes get the feeling that Ion is not realy listening and reading what I write.
All the information is there and a qualified tech should have had this wired up in half an hour.

Ion, you got mail again.

API

[silent:arts] [quote author=API said:
... First I must say that selling these 1272´s to Ion has been a rollercoaster ride! ...
:D
I think I know what you mean :D
[/quote]

hahaha "psssssst"

bluebird said:
What?

Are you kidding? This guy has been going on about this thing for 5 pages now and people have been desperately trying to help him.

enough already, sell you modules and quit whining  :-*

does your boo boo hurt?

i apreciate all who helped me.. but you man you are an idiot

ok API is a great guy to deal with ...really respect!!!

i will send him the modules as he offered doing the stuff for me.. this will most likley cost me nearly as much as i paid the tech in shipping but what else should i do

i am really mad that the guy wierd it up all wrong...

do you really think i can get a refund?

and to the whole DIY debate... well ppl as much as i would like to, but i am just not made for it... i bet all of you who know some musicians,producers know at least one who is absolutly not a DIY freak..
i know its all training but not for a slow cow like me :)

so again thanks all of you who helped out and big thanks to API for the offer.. i really would be lost otherwise... because YES i gave the shematics/pinout to the tech... i dont think that even with the new information you guys provided i would like to hand them again to that guy and wait another month for probably still not completly working modules

and to clear shit up NOTHING IS OR WAS DAMAGED on the 1272`s API sent me.. all fine..just a demanding wiring job it seems

ion, this looks like the best solution you could have dreamed of!

and my respect to API too.
doing Neve modules with this name  ;D ;D ;D

now, glad there is a solution.

ion said:
bluebird said:
What?

Are you kidding? This guy has been going on about this thing for 5 pages now and people have been desperately trying to help him.

enough already, sell you modules and quit whining  :-*

does your boo boo hurt?

ion, i would suggest to start working on your etiquette before approaching anything else...

no thanks
to that person i dont have anything else to say... check his writing again and think about the etiquette thing again

ultra-alex said:
ion said:
bluebird said:
What?

enough already, sell you modules and quit whining  :-*

does your boo boo hurt?

ion, i would suggest to start working on your etiquette before approaching anything else...
I have to disagree. There was no call to bag someone that's already having problems with their build. That's what I call schoolyard ettiquette and mentality. In my opinion, this is the same type of bagging that got him into this mess in the first place. When younger people read this coming from grown ups who think they are electronic geniuses, it doesn't set a good example.

The guy is having frustration issues, message him about it instead of humiliating him in a public forum. Thats called cyber bullying!

People of all ages read this.  ::)

canidoit said:
The guy is having frustration issues, message him about it instead of humiliating him in a public forum. Thats called cyber bullying!

So now you're the DIY police.   ::)

Why do people feel that they have an entitlement to information and resources?

Oh, it's the Internet you say.

Mark

Sorry forth post:

http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=34655.msg424478#msg424478

there's some in the BA283 board and also the replacement caps in the other picture

Back