one payer health care

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is the best health care debate out there.  Objective(engineer) & Subjective(Musician).  IMHO this healthcare bill is completly out of whack.  I guess it started with good intentions but its completly screwed.

This just gets uglier by the day... 

Latest news tidbit, the 40% excise tax on "cadillac" health care plans, targeting the evil wealthy, managed to snag the unions because they have such over the top health care plans. The white house seems to have negotiated a deal with the unions... i.e. They don't have to pay the tax.  ::)  Not clear if this is permanent or temporary, but ugly either way.  I guess it's a good time to be in a union.

Yeah, like this bill will reduce the deficit.... Not even in their dreams.

A report yesterday mentioned how the drug company lobbyists in DC were raising money for the democratic candidate in MA, for the Kennedy senate seat. Am I the only one nervous when lobbyists are actively trying to help this bill pass..? 

This is going to bend the cost curve right into their bank accounts.

arghhh

JR

As you mentioned earlier, "just wait until they start attaching things".  The cadillac tax is just one more ingredient in a prescription for sickness in this country's medical industry infrastructure.  That's right!  It's not a health care system, it is an industry, and the government on all levels has perverted it to the point where it does not work.
2010 cannot come fast enough for me!  These thieves on both sides of the isle have to be purged from the impacted colon that is Washington DC.

Anyone against the "healthcare reform" bill should donate a tenth of what they are sending to Haiti to Scott Brown.  After shooting emails to their three DC representatives and two state reps.  It does make a difference.

Mike

We need to watch what lesson they draw from this. I am not overly optimistic, but this seat in the senate is a move in the right direction. The people have spoken rather loudly, lets see if they are listening.  Go figure, a "tea party" sentiment in MA.. oh the irony...

The executive order today is a little odd, while the press conference was mostly appealing to his base and also to the independent swing vote, he has been losing in recent races like VA, NJ, and now MA.

The State of the Union will be a different speech than just a few days ago... Or at least it should be...  I hope he does the right thing and re-calibrates his agenda closer to what the people thought they were electing.

Interesting times.

JR

PS: Time to keep an even closer eye on the house and senate until Brown is certified and seated.

I heard that there 3:1 registered Left's to Right's in MA. So, what happened? Either all the Left's stayed home, which is a pretty loud message...or a large % of the Left's voted for Brown, which is a pretty loud message.

There was a high turnout of independents, and low turnout from inner city Dems.

That Kennedy seat should have been a cake walk for Dems, but they underestimated Brown who mounted a good old fashioned baby-kissing hand-shaking campaign. The Dems phoned it in until the last few weeks when they saw Brown's momentum and then bombarded him with negative attack ads, unfortunately for them he had already defined himself, so the attack ads were ineffective and probably back fired.

There does seem to be a groundswell of centrist push-back against big government, and nothing pisses of voters more than politicians not listening to the people. The majority truly appears to be opposed to the health plan as it has developed (metastasized).

We need to improve the healthcare system, but this isn't fixing what is tangled up, and expanding what is.  Interesting to see the stock market fall today.. Lots of "Big medicine" had cut their inside deals and were positioned to profit... But this may be "selling on the news" since market already rallied on prospect of Brown win before the election.

We need to address this responsibly. Unfortunately this attempt to cram it down our throats will leave such a bad taste in the public's mouth (just like Hillary care did), that it will be harder to get any reform.  But thats OK for now, we have plenty on our plate that needs fixing, and bigger government is not the solution.

Of course opinions vary, and it isn't over yet. The house could pass the senate version as is (not likely), or use reconciliation in senate that still has simple dem majority.  Interesting times. 

JR

Well, it passed.  And already smaller providers have left the insurance industry, further reducing competition.
My insurance rates are going up 20% Y-O-Y starting in December.  That is $2,200 that I will not be spending in my community or online anymore.  But I'm just one guy, right?  Start the multiplication. . .
It will go to an evil, greedy healthcare insurance company that is privately funding a public mandate.  And my agent sez wait until next Dec.  

First the independents take the hit, then the "employed" (they are taxing your medical benefits), then those on Medicare (large Advantage cuts), and finally union workers (yeah, your benefits finally get taxed as income too).

Is there anything worse than a Charlie Foxtrot?  Perhaps Delta Sierra, deep you know what?
Mike

I had faith that middle america would choke on the "trust me I'm from the government" screed. So after two years of all hat and no cattle, the push back is coming, but it is pretty difficult to unwind popular entitlements.

The court case challenging constitutionality (20 states participating) is going forward.

I was never opposed to "improving" health care, just not their grandiose scheme that didn't even make sense using their funny math (and they pretty much knew it). This clearly is the charlie foxtrot so many predicted. Their plan was for some of the gimme's to kick in by now, and the cost to show up in the out years, but this law has such sweeping implications, cost are already reacting.

Hopefully calmer heads can hammer something workable out of this mess, but it won't be easy.

Interesting to see that Barney Frank is actually having to campaign in his district for like the first time in several election cycles. Brown took Barney's district in the senate election and has some coat tails, compared to the current party in power.

-----
We've been in delta sierra before, we can grow out of this too, if we get our priorities in order, and government out of the damn way...

It's like they go out of their way to make things worse. The recent freeze on foreclosures, instead of helping anybody, is preventing housing from clearing to it's true valuation, and is scaring away buyers from closing on houses now..  What are they smoking? They aren't doing good for anybody except maybe helping some people go a few more months without paying the mortgage on a house they will never afford. Most of these pending foreclosures are already 18 months in arrears. Time to take the bitter medicine and move on. 

Interesting times...

JR

PS: I'm reading Hayek's "Road to Serfdom" right now... Some smart folks had this stuff all figured out a long ass time ago.

PPS.. Don't forget to vote

Latest posts

Back