Not another SM58 thread

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mac

Greetings all,

Last year I got stuck with four SM58 fakes from a FeeBay purchase, and have been searching the forum for info on capsule replacements. I have read with interest all the information here about transformer replacements, upgrades, etc - loved CJ's disection of an output trannie etc. I didnt know wether to resurrect one of those old threads or start a new one???

Basically I refuse to resell them and have them out there contaminating the market or anything, so I stuck them at the back of my shelves, and assumed they were destined to be crab pot anchors or something. The other day after using some genuine 58's I thought maybe I need to do something useful with these things. My objective is that rather than just chuck them out, the chassis, bodies and grills etc are perfect -  and just need a decent capsule.

There are no transformers in them - our cunning Chinese friends had an old small transformer glued into place to look the part - but the wires sailed right past it!!!

I pulled them to bits, bashed the glue and fake trafo out and rewired the capsule transformerless to the xlr - but they sound worse than the mic on my laptop.

So the question is, has anyone seen any replacement dynamic capsules (or condenser for that matter) that would fit and make a wolf in a sheeps clothing??
I reckon it would be cool to have ordinary sm58 skins hiding something much nicer sounding under the hood -  so to speak....

Mac. ;)

It would be cheap and easy to do a Transound/Panasonic mic in that chassis.  Check out the Alice Mic project.

-Chris

Yeah good suggestion Chris,

I must admit I stumbled upon this site a while back but it didnt dawn on me the size of these mics, so I had dismissed them for this application.

There's even a pic showing a 57...
alice-mic-with-57.jpg

I wonder what sort of impact the 58 body and grill would have on the capsule - I have read lots on the acoustic properties of the chamber etc etc...I wonder how much of it is trully apparent from a listening perspective and how much of it is acoustic theory..

One way to know i guess....buy em and stickem in!!

I had looked at other replacements like these from Maplin, but I could end up with a similar crappy sound for the effort..

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?
ModuleNo=29594&C=SO&U=strat15

cheers,
Mac.

The capsule that is in there now looks exactly like this one;

dm-27s-28caq_pic.jpg

JLI electronics have a huge number of potential dynamic candidates. Has anyone had experience with these?

Mac

Back