Cheap comp/lims 3630 mods, shure level loc, Forsall, etc

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frankgb

Hi all,

I have a friend trying to get a great 'room' sound when recording drums, he figure's he needs some decent comp/lims. Are there any good cheapies to build??

Are the Alesis 3630 mods any good, or should we try something else, I'm very keen to hear some recommendations!!!

Many Thanx

Frank Berend

Well, first you need a great room. Then you might look at the SSL bus comp, and maybe the 1176 derivatives, though that's getting past cheap.

Hoping the Forsell Optical will be great, but I don't know how well it'll do on the application.

Level Loc is a bit of noisy, weird, wrong sounding beauty. I would not associate it with great room sound on drums, though, used judiciously, it can be part pf a great drum sound.

If anyone has a scheme on those DOD optical limiter pedals (240?), that might be an interesting cheapo character comp project. No fidelity, but supposed to be gorgeous where there is any. I'd like to get my hands on one.

If you're looking for fast and transparent comps to bring out a good room sound, it might be cheaper/more reasonable to buy than to build. RNC or used Aphex stuff is very reasonable and very effective for these jobs.

Bear

Latest posts

Back