OEP vs Lundahl transformers in the 1176

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Esset

Is there any difference in sound between the following:

Lundahl LL5402 VS OEP A262A2E
Lundahl LL1540 VS OEP A262A3E

The OEP transformers are alot cheaper but is it worth it? Which ones are used in the original, think I read somewhere that depending on which revision of the Urei 1176 they were both used, I could be wrong off course.

utc o-12's were used on the input and a custom transformer was used on the output. cinemag is doing the transformers for the reissues.

dave

[quote author="soundguy"]utc o-12's were used on the input and a custom transformer was used on the output. cinemag is doing the transformers for the reissues.

dave[/quote]

okey :?: according to the Gyraf version you should use the lundahl versions but on this page I read that you could use the OEP too, so my question is what's the sound difference in those two(four)

[quote author="buttachunk"]the lundahls are more "hi-fi" sounding than the oeps... [/quote]
we don't want "hi-fi" in the studio do we?

[quote author="buttachunk"]the oeps are more "colored sounding".[/quote]
colored in which way?

If you haven't noticed I'm kind off a newbie in this area with a burning desire to have one of these without paying the outragous price for an original

think of hifi in terms of this-

the lundahl is going to pass more hi freq's and possibly more low freq's. The high's in a lundahl are kind of sparkly and you dont get an overwhelming sense of iron with the ones Ive used, but they are solid as hell and not at all %110 transparent.

Ive never used the OEP but have heard many people round these parts compare them to neve transformers, in which case you could perhaps expect that the highs will be slower and rounder and you'll have a more present sense that the transformer is there in the circuit compared to the lundahl.

If you build the 1176 with lundahls, the transformer will in itself be "hi fi" BUT, if you use caps with a slower top end, you can have a mellow sounding box. On the other hand, if you go with the OEP, you can have a more IRON sound in the box but if you use all aluminum electrolytics and chose something like a panasonic FC, you can get perhaps a brighter top end out of the box. The lundahl will give you more of the sound of the circuit itself, but all the components interact, so...

dave

Hi Esset,

And welcome to "The Lab"..!

The tone of transformers is next to imposible to explain.

You will simply have to try different transformers and decide what parameters are important for you.

The LL5402 transformer I used for the 1176-clone was selected among several candidates for acting closest to the original.

But off course the OEP will work - the character will just be different. And no, there is no simple description of "in what way" it will be different.

So my suggestion would be that if money is a parameter, you try the OEP (note, that this will not fit the pcb!) and if you don't like the tone, you buy the Lundahl and drop it in instead. You can probably use the OEP for something else - like the G9, where the OEP sounds very good..

Note, that the input transformer is optional - our rev#F has the electronically blanced input. So don't put any transformer here, unless you need floating isolation.

Jakob E.

FWIW I made my 1176 with OEP in/out transformers and wasn't thrilled with the darkness of tone. Compared with my LA2A clone it was murky. I took out the input tranny and used the regular balanced input and am much happier. For my ears the two OEP trannys in there made the highs dissappear too much. Just my .02

Steve

Guitarmaker, did you use the A262a2e or the A262a3e on the input? Just curious if that has any effect.

The A262a2e is supposed to have a more extended frequency response than the A262a3e. I believe the spec on the 2e is pretty flat 30Hz to 35KHz, where the 3e is flat 30Hz to 25KHz. Both go way beyond my hearing, but it may have an impact.

I'm building mine with two of the 2e's, I'll post results when I complete it. Who knows when that will be, I can't find a Sifam meter ANYWHERE!!! AHHHHH. It's driving me absolutely over the edge. WATCH OUT!

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

The Neve VR consoles used input trannys for the mic pres, which very much resembled OEP's... I don't know for sure that's what they were, but they certainly looked like them!

They sounded not very good at all and were more source impedance sensitive -in an extremely bad way- than many other transformers seem to be.

OEP are inexpensive however. You want a ford or an Aston Martin? Both work well as transportation, but one has a rather more tangible sense of expensive quality. -If you need transportation and can only afford the Ford, it's a non-issue. If you can afford the aston martin and a sense of quality is important to you, step up to the Aston.

Likewise, if all you can afford is an OEP, don't worry about it. If you can afford the Lundahls and quality is important to you, get the Lundahls and be assured that you have a much better engineered, less touchy and more consistently excellent transformer.

Keith

[quote author="SSLtech"]The Neve VR consoles used input trannys for the mic pres, which very much resembled OEP's... I don't know for sure that's what they were, but they certainly looked like them!

Keith[/quote]
Belclere?
The look like a cross between sowter and OEP

[quote author="jensenmann"]Hi tubejay
check www.canford.co.uk
there you´ll get the sifam meters for sure
:guinness:
Jens[/quote]
Canford on line aren't shipping outside the UK....
Mail orders only

I got info from OEP that they used to be called Belclere Oxford transformers, so it seems this is the same company. But the question remains... Is it the same quality?

We have 3 channels of OEP & 1 of Lundahl, & the Lundahl chan is the least used. I have not heard a loss of high end, but there is definitely more "vibe" using the OEP's.

I also was hesitant about the OEP / Lundahl choice, but I love that unit.

Peter

[quote author="tubejay"]I can't find a Sifam meter ANYWHERE!!! AHHHHH. It's driving me absolutely over the edge. WATCH OUT!

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:[/quote]

Did you talk to Ike at www.meterdistributor.com? He imports Sifam meters and sells them at Sifam's list price.

[quote author="electronaut"]
Did you talk to Ike at www.meterdistributor.com? He imports Sifam meters and sells them at Sifam's list price.[/quote]

I did. He said he'd be getting more in stock around Christmas time. I emailed him a week ago to see if he got more, but he hasn't emailed me back. So I'm assuming that means he doesn't have them.

Is there anywhere else in the US to get these? I can't seem to find anywhere. I've googled the hell out of it.

Selco used to carry Sifam's meters, but now they only carry their knobs for some reason. www.meterdistributor.com is the only place within the U.S. that I am aware of.

You could try emailing Andrew Davey at Sifam and ask him what the hell is going on. He's a nice guy.

adavey at sifam dot com

-E.

I have to say I love this little OEP bastards as line input and also as mic inputs! I´m not using on 1176 but on What compressor, COLOR!

cheers!
Fabio

THe guy at Meter Distributers is still waiting for his order-nice guy. It seems like they take a really long time at Sifam to make the meters. I contacted Sifam directly and got a quote from them. It was a little more expensive that from meter distributer, and they gave me a lead time of 5-7 weeks.

So now we wait.

Joel

Latest posts

Back