Tiny Screwdriver Set

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gold

Does anyone know of another manufacturer of tiny screwdrivers? I have a growing hatred of Xcelite screwdrivers. The M60 set is what I'm after http://www.hmcelectronics.com/cgi-bin/scripts/product/1986-0152/xcelite-M60/

Xcelite uses soft steel and the tips break and bend too easily. I haven't found anyone else that makes a set where the overall length of the drivers are 2.2 " (5.5cm).

I like the small set from Home Depot, Husky I think?
Made in the, surprise!, USA- four sizes of phillips and flat that stow in a single handle.  Like a mini 8 in 1.  They are more like a gray tool steel and much better than the plated xcelites.  I also have a mini-torx set, but that is Chinese from MCM or other catalog.
I like all the Husky products so far.  I use a long thin 14" screwdriver for use with Dsub patchbays.  I slipped a brass sleeve on the end so that it can go in blind and not slip-off those small housing screws.  Saves SO much agg factor during installs.
Mike

dont know if your looking for longer set or the 2" set. i read it as your wanting longer. i have 2 sets of the same brand about 3 1/2 -4". never had a problem with the drivers stripping out. i'll look and see what brand they are when i get to work tomorrow. all the guys i work with seem to have the same set. i probably picked them up a home depot or ace and dont recall buying the most expensive set or anything special about them. my guess right now is that they,re stanley screwdrivers.

I use a no-name brand, probably Made In China Jeweler's Screwdriver set.  Like this:

357px-Jeweler%27s-screwdriver-set-bright.jpg

No.  It , with it's four double tips is about 4" long:

I use a 00 flat or phillips hex bit with a Craftsman knurled handle if I need to do any tight work.  If I needed anything shorter I would cut the aforementioned set driver and make a Fimo handle.
By the way, Fimo is a great tool medium.  I make handles, fire them, and then epoxy them into the tool tip.
Mike

sodderboy said:
If I needed anything shorter I would cut the aforementioned set driver and make a Fimo handle.

That's a good idea. I can order the Wima System 4 blades I like and cut them. Or just buy new xcelite sets every year...

sodderboy said:
No.  It , with it's four double tips is about 4" long:

I use a 00 flat or phillips hex bit with a Craftsman knurled handle if I need to do any tight work.  If I needed anything shorter I would cut the aforementioned set driver and make a Fimo handle.
By the way, Fimo is a great tool medium.  I make handles, fire them, and then epoxy them into the tool tip.
Mike

Yes, I've got that Husky thing too.  Also the Torx version - tiny Torx, *very* hard to find.  Go to www.homedepot.com and look for "74501" and "74502".  Highly recommend these.

The VERY best small precision screwdrivers I've ever seen are Wiha brand:  http://www.wihatools.com/pro_Precision.htm

I use them for taking apart camera lenses which have notoriously difficult screws to remove.

Steve

Got this set last year, superb quality - flathead and phillips included in three sizes each.

http://www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=20001&partNumber=612808&Trail=searchtext%3EPRECISION+SCREWDRIVER+SET

MM

If you kept the duff xcelite drivers, you can yank the bad tip shafts and epoxy a better tool in the handle.  I think I will do the same as I kept my broken xcelites. 
And I agree that Wiha tools are top quality.  My hex sets are all Wiha.  No more with the China flip sets!
Mike
PS: also, a cute little blue phillips screwdriver pendant is quite the babe magnet.  Recycle-reduce-reuse.

guitarmaker said:
The VERY best small precision screwdrivers I've ever seen are Wiha brand: 

I mostly agree. I bought the whole catalog. I have all the system 4 and system 6 blades. I don't use Torx much so I just got bits for those. I have flat head, philips, pozidrive, hex and nut drivers in all the imperial and metric sizes. I also got hollow shaft nut drivers, hex keys in two sizes and combination open end/box wrenches. I'm broke but happy. Unfortunately those xcelites are one of a kind.

The best flathead screwdrivers are PB tools. The selection isn't extensive but those flatheads are a thing of beauty. Not the mini electronics ones but the full size ones.

wiha be cool.

i jus got me a husky torx set on a stck, you know, exactly like an allen wrench set only different?

just give me one of those and a set of vice grips, tune me loose at the pick and pull, and i can throw a whole car over the fence in 60 seconds.

SSLtech said:
Don't excelite replace hand-tools for free any more?

I don't know. I do know that getting free replacements from manufacturers usually requires more than $14.00 of my time.

Latest posts

Back