Not so much brewery as laundry...

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mOBiTh

I've just stuck my mobile phone on a hot wash!!!

Fail.

Wot do reckon my chances are of this thing drying out and working?!

It was 60degC not 90 so it could have been worse....

HAHAHAHA  ;D ::)

yeah get some pure distilled water and rinse it out then place it somewhere warm but not hot overnight.  I used to do this with circuitboards that were exposed to water.  I put them in a small oven at around 125F overnight and they worked fine.  Just make sure that you don't stick the battery or SIM card in the oven or you might have problems.

yep, destilled water and warm air drying seems best.
I used to work in cellphone repair business...water accidents are the most common out-of-warranty replacemnts...and the reason of the dysfunction is quite easy to detect by a repair technician.
Water leaves mineral resists (or soap, hehe) on the pcb that cause shorts and corrosion.
Destilled purified water should be able to wash everything away.
Still, there is a great chance that the phone will not come back to life again.
Washing machine is just as funny as toilet...
(You won't believe how often I heard from accidents like that, hehe. Once I even saw a cellphone in a beer glass...right out of a shirt's breastpocket.)
Kinds regards
Martin

I put a "good" mates phone in a full beer glass once .... luckily he did see the funny side !!

It was a bit of a "Jackass" moment .... I wouldn't do it these days :)

He had a LOT of phones so didn't seem bothered

MM>

yeah i've dropped on in beer before, and two down the toilet(!) although one was unharmed but i won't explain why ;)

would isopropyl alcohol work instead of distilled water? I only ask cos that's all i have...

this phone is about 4 years old anyway as i've broken all the ones i have since. so now i'm on an old nokia from about 2002!

it's all about nearly dead retro phones IMO. F%&k this iphone nonsense!

yes alcohol will help dry it out too but make sure it's pure and doesn't have additives or else those'll give you the same problems as dirty water.

Hard experience says "2-3 days of drying out and it will work again... but it'll never be 100%"

I've done it twice.

Current phone is a ruggedized model, and every time I stuff clothes into the washer I mentally note where I last saw my phone.

Well it lights up now and the Samsung splash screen appears but it doesn't boot up any further. The keypad appears to be working as the on button is part of it so I guess it's having trouble reading the OS or something.

I used the alcohol and a fairly stiff brush to get the soap deposits off of the chip pins which is where most of it seemed to accumulate. have to say it did look a little corroded in places but not sure if that's from my sweaty pocket over the years or this one apocalyptic event!

Might give it one more clean and leave it a few days and then give up an move on...

mOBiTh said:
Well it lights up now and the Samsung splash screen appears but it doesn't boot up any further. The keypad appears to be working as the on button is part of it so I guess it's having trouble reading the OS or something.

I used the alcohol and a fairly stiff brush to get the soap deposits off of the chip pins which is where most of it seemed to accumulate. have to say it did look a little corroded in places but not sure if that's from my sweaty pocket over the years or this one apocalyptic event!

Might give it one more clean and leave it a few days and then give up an move on...

I'd do that.  My ipod classic has gone in toilet twice and still goes.  Second time it didn't work after three days of dry so I left it.  After about a week I decided to give it one last try, lo and behold it came to life. 

Latest posts

Back