Propellerhead "Record" software test

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MartyMart

www.recordyou.com

Just been trying the "Beta" version of Record, which has amongst its features a fully modeled
SSL 9000 series desk and central bus compressor.
The desk is made from full channel strips with eq compressor/gate and sends /returns etc etc.

It is fairly easy to operate but then again I've been using recording and sequencing software
for 20 years, I think a 19 year old staring at that 48 channel SSL setup of the demo track might well
have the "screamin abdabs " !!
The inclusion of very nice Line 6 Pod/Bass Pod software is sweet and there's a decent selection of the
FX from "Reason" in there too.

I started a new track and imported 16 "stems" from a song I have been working on recently.
That was interesting as Record could only import from : The mac desktop / It's own project folder
and my applications folder !!
So getting audio from connected drives was a PITA, it first had to be moved to a new folder within one
of these areas  ::)

I think I was expecting too much, how on earth can a whole recording environment that cost the same as
just one of my decent plugins sound any better ?
It didn't sound bad at all but there is no WOW factor.

Considering that it's only £100 shy of the new Logic Pro 9 bundle, without the chance to add any third party
plugins, or some of Logic's advanced sync / editing features , the deal looks even less sweet.

And the central bus comp might look the part ( just about ) but it's not even in the same league as UAD's
new version.

Fun to try out though :)

MM.

I can't exactly remember, but I clicked on the word Record somewhere.. They make you work for it.

Personally, I don't think you're missing much.  My machine is elderly and it ran very sluggish.  Purdy to look at, but I didn't hear anything special.  I'm a minimalist and damn happy with an outdated copy of Samplitude.  I didn't invest more than an hour dickin with Record.  I didn't see the point since the Demo is gonna die in a month anyway and after 10 minutes, I knew I wasn't gonna buy it.

Ptownkid said:
How in the hell did you download it...

I have an invite code, i put it in the box and sign in, and all I get is a tutorial screen.

Yeah, had a few problems after the invite and "logging in" the "login and download Record"
line of code was just taking me in a constant "loop" and opening the same page.
I contacted them and had a good moan, the responses were quick and helpful.
They sent me a new link and that had the same "video tutorial page" but with a proper Mac download
link at the top.
It was not worth all the effort to be honest, It's great "eye candy" but I heard nothing significant in the
audio path.
How can a $500,000 desk be modeled for $300  ????

Answer ..... it can't  !!!

MM.

Marty,
i loved the devices of reason 3 and the sweet more than easy sequencer.
did you work with reason 3 and updated to 4?
I dont know if i should downgrade back to 3 cause I do not like the new sequencer...
by the way they used the same sequencer for "Record" too... thats the reason i did not try it out yet... but all the sweet devices(/plugins) are damn great i think.
thanks.

hotbaby said:
Marty,
i loved the devices of reason 3 and the sweet more than easy sequencer.
did you work with reason 3 and updated to 4?
I dont know if i should downgrade back to 3 cause I do not like the new sequencer...
by the way they used the same sequencer for "Record" too... thats the reason i did not try it out yet... but all the sweet devices(/plugins) are damn great i think.
thanks.

I've worked with 3 and 4, though I don't have one here or own either !
I have only ever re-wired it into logic to get access to the reason sampler/loops.
Have never "sequenced" on Reason, Logic's been my bag since V 2.5  !!
When Logic started to let you use recycle loops and import them into Apple loops
I lost the need for any "Reason" goodies.

Marty.

Back