Calling ZMIX (Chuck Zwicky)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrissugar

Hi Chuck

I tried to contact you on PM but your inbox is full.

I can't believe that you was a member here all this time (since the beginning) and I had no idea that you was the man behind the Ensoniq DP4  processor.
I was very surprised to discover this from one of your posts at Gearslutz. I'm a big fan of the DP4 sound and for a long time I had this idea to contact the designer of the effects in the DP4 and ask him if there is any chance to release them in VST plug-in form.

So Chuck, is there any chance for this? It would be a shame for these effects to exist only in an old box.

How much of the warmness of the DP4 effects is related to the software running on the processors, and how much to the AD/DA, filtering and analog stages? Would a pure software version lose a lot of the DP4 sound?

Have a nice day

chrissugar

:-[  :-[  :-[

I was only a lowly consultant on the "+" version of the DP/4 and on the DP/2 and DP/pro... but I do know a company that has expressed interest in the DP/4 as a series of plugins.....

chrissugar said:
Hi Chuck

I tried to contact you on PM but your inbox is full.

I can't believe that you was a member here all this time (since the beginning) and I had no idea that you was the man behind the Ensoniq DP4  processor.
I was very surprised to discover this from one of your posts at Gearslutz. I'm a big fan of the DP4 sound and for a long time I had this idea to contact the designer of the effects in the DP4 and ask him if there is any chance to release them in VST plug-in form.

So Chuck, is there any chance for this? It would be a shame for these effects to exist only in an old box.

How much of the warmness of the DP4 effects is related to the software running on the processors, and how much to the AD/DA, filtering and analog stages? Would a pure software version lose a lot of the DP4 sound?

Have a nice day

chrissugar

Hi Chuck

Thank you for your answer. Please, can you share your thoughts about my question related to the sound of DP4/DP4+
Also if not secret, the name of the company interested in making the plug-ins (I really hope it is not Waves cause I have no intention to ever use their products)

Do you have idea if there are any other VST plug-ins modelled after the Ensoniq Paris plug-ins like the Paris VST EQ? I could not find anything.

Thank you

chrissugar

I do not know how to answer you question about 'warmness' because I do not know what you are hearing, and in what situations, etc....
Also, I've never used the paris system but I think those EQs were in the DP/Pro...

chrissugar said:
Hi Chuck

Thank you for your answer. Please, can you share your thoughts about my question related to the sound of DP4/DP4+
Also if not secret, the name of the company interested in making the plug-ins (I really hope it is not Waves cause I have no intention to ever use their products)

Do you have idea if there are any other VST plug-ins modelled after the Ensoniq Paris plug-ins like the Paris VST EQ? I could not find anything.

Thank you

chrissugar

Chris,

Chuck Duffy, former moderator of the Ensoniq Paris newsgroup was given a huge wealth of Paris info from EMU after they discontinued the product.  I know that it was enough to write new plugins for Paris, and if I recall correctly, it had a lot of info on the algorithms ported from the DP4 too.  Unfortunately, I don't know how to get in touch with Chuck anymore, and the Paris web group seems to be gone (perhaps they still have an NNTP presence, I'm not sure).  I think Matt Craig who ported the Paris EQ might be privy to this info too.  Have you tried to contact/find him?  I think he also ported one of the reverbs from Paris, or at least he was working on it.  If you can't find any leads, maybe Doug Wellington can help (owner of Parisfaqs.com), doug at paris faqs dot com.

Regarding your questions about where the DP4 magic resided, I've never used a DP4, but I used Paris as my primary DAW for about 5 years.  I almost never used the native EQ and effects (with a few exceptions).  I loved the overall sound of the DAW but really disliked how the effects sounded.   I usually used freebie VSTs instead, and after I got my first UAD card, I never loaded a Paris effect again.  I've heard lots of great things about the DP4, which makes me wonder if there was something special about that particular hardware.  Of course it could just be a matter of my bad taste though.  ;D

Regards,
Chris

Edit:  I see Chuck Z addressed the "warmness" comment, so I will too.  Warm is the last thing I would call the Paris effects.  The Paris mix bus, yes, that was warm, but not the effects.  I always found them to be a little glassy, weak, and sterile sounding.  Made everything I did lean towards sounding like an 80's mix.

Back