Ampex 351...Anyone know where to find a power cable?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fbhall

Hello all,
I'm looking for a power cable for an Ampex model 351... The input has J8 written under it if that helps....info regarding updating this to ICE type connection would also be helpful.

Probably gotta make one, old ones when you can find them go for dumb money on eBay and many times they have frayed wire and brittle insulation.

You could opt to put in an IEC and be done with it. If the electronics are in nice shape, I'd do this:

http://ampex.hughescatalog.com/electronics/hubbell/hubbell.html

Is it a Bulgin connector? -I can't remember.

t_3pinminibulgin.jpg

you probably will have to make one. it's got a  twist lock plug on 1 side which would connect into the ampex and the other side which connects into the wall. looking up twist lock plugs.

One of my 351s has been modified to have a normal iec socket.  I recommend doing the swap.  Proprietary power cables suck. They are always lost when you need them.

SSLtech said:
Is it a Bulgin connector? -I can't remember.

Hi Keith,

From my experience, Bulgins are used on older Marshall amplifiers. Probably some British recording gear as well, thought I can't recall offhand....

The Ampex part is a Hubbell, from the 746x series. Specifically a 7464:

ampex351hubbell7464.gif

http://www.hubbellcatalog.com/wiring/section-b-datasheet.asp?FAM=Locking_Devices&PN=HBL7464V

This place has them available for $21.

Chris

fazeka said:
Probably gotta make one, old ones when you can find them go for dumb money on eBay and many times they have frayed wire and brittle insulation.

You could opt to put in an IEC and be done with it. If the electronics are in nice shape, I'd do this:

http://ampex.hughescatalog.com/electronics/hubbell/hubbell.html
Thanks everyone for the help

Is this a normal IEC socket in the above link it seems as though this is some other proprietary cable type?

If anyone has ideas on replacing the power input with a normal IEC connection that would be super helpful.

wkbdgeorge said:
One of my 351s has been modified to have a normal iec socket.  I recommend doing the swap.  Proprietary power cables suck. They are always lost when you need them.
Do you have any info on how to do this mod...concerns?
We somehow lost the original cable and IECs are a dime a dozen.  Thanks in advance for the help everyone.

I not sure what's so hard about it:

1) Take out the Hubbell receptacle that's in the unit now (of course, disconnect the hot and neutral to the power transformer primary). There will be a circular hole where the Hubbell was.

2) In goes the IEC (you'll have to drill two holes for the IEC to bolt up to the chassis panel - no big), wire it up accordingly. Done.

3) Pop open a Newcastle. ;D

What's your electronics experience like? Are you asking for pictures?

fazeka said:
I not sure what's so hard about it:

1) Take out the Hubbell receptacle that's in the unit now (of course, disconnect the hot and neutral to the power transformer primary). There will be a circular hole where the Hubbell was.

2) In goes the IEC (you'll have to drill two holes for the IEC to bolt up to the chassis panel - no big), wire it up accordingly. Done.

3) Pop open a Newcastle. ;D

What's your electronics experience like? Are you asking for pictures?

Actually, this is the response I was looking for.  Thanks. I was just worried that maybe something unexpected would pop up. Lacked some confidence.
Thanks again everyone who contributed.

I was wondering that since I am replacing the 2 wire AC to 3 wire...do i simply mount the ground to chassis?  Also, is it worth replacing the 4700 uF 250V AC line bypass disc ceramic capacitors.

Back