Mechanical reverbs

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Consul

So I have a 100-ft coil of steel cable, 6-strand, 20-gauge per strand, and I'm thinking about what to do with it. If I wanted to make it into a mechanical reverb of some kind, the easy way would be to get some kind of steel frame, like an old bed frame, and string it in, out, and around the frame at varying lengths and tensions. Attach a transducer at one end, a contact mic at the other end, and Bob's your uncle. Maybe. Easy enough to try, I guess.

Then I had the thought about making a mechanical comb filter. The idea would be to have the vibration traveling along a single cable, with other cables intersecting it, taking it a distance, then bringing it back, thus introducing a delay. It's a bit of a flight of fancy, but if nothing else, an interesting physics conversation might result. In the end, I'll probably do option one and see what happens.

In case you're curious, I originally bought the cable with the intention of stringing it across a large room, putting it under a massive amount of tension, and striking it in various ways, recording it with contact mics. I'll likely still do that, but after I dismantle that contraption, I'm still left with 100 feet of cable.

In case anyone's curious, here's my inspiration, the feedback piano:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2OF2OLaHdw

That proved to me that you can make an amazing reverb using a shitload of strings under tension.

I'd love to build my own feedback piano for reverb, but getting a piano soundboard with strings intact down to the basement might be a trick in this almost 130-year-old house. My only bet would be to disassemble the thing entirely first, which I guess would be fine, since I only want the soundboard and strings anyway. And don't worry, I wouldn't mess up a real classic for something like this.

Love the sound of a piano used as a reverb  :)

Somewhere around 1995 I (composed?) recorded a complete soundtrack for a visual show and for the audio collage I used a piano as a reverb. It had a fantastic ambience. I used all kind of metal balls and sticks to produce aditional weird noises with the piano. It sounded like a crazy contemporary music work. Some classically trained contemporary music composer/performer friends thought it was a contemporary music masterpiece  ;D  I laughed out loud while they tried to convince me about this.  I did it just for fun  ;D ;D ;D

chrissugar

Latest posts

Back