What do you think of this article????

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Damn... I drew those black lines on my favourite cd before looking at the picture... wrong side... :wink: :green:

Frank

oh my that is the biggest load of crap i have seen since bose speakers and their realistic sound..

i feel the urge to ask why this person "believes" this makes a difference.. black markers on the BACK of a CD? on the OTHER side of the reflective layer?? also, how would darkening the edges of a cd stop laser reflections(refraction more likely?) when the damn thing is focused to a point and physics shows that it reflects at an equal angle back into the detector.. i guess i am wrong and the beam bounces all over the plastic 27 thousand times before it gets back to the detector. I bet now they will be trying to get the polycarbonate off of the foil and trying to cast it in glass instead!!!! how about only using black volcanic glass too? coat the backside with c37 and attach a hardwood puck to it to keep resonance from the laser beam down, since of course it is transferring powersupply noise from that cheapo switcher or dc pump that's used in EVERY cd player straight to the CD causing strange "warbling" that records NEVER do..... :green:

oh just put the stupid thing in the drive and press play!

:guinness:

[quote author="rafafredd"]Please, give me a reasonable explanation for the above.

PLEASE, PLEASE, or I´ll go crazy... I can´t belive it. The same info pass throught the same DA and them throught the same amps and it sounds diferent?[/quote]
I would say it was either not the same info passing though the DAC, or not at the correct speed.

Remember if the CD's are hard to read, you won't hear whats on the CD, but what the error correction thinks should have been there.

And also remember that CD players for some reason actually work mostly like record players. They do not read the data sector by sector as a CD-ROM drive does. They just read the data at approx. the correct speed and feed whatever data they read to the DAC. This is also the reason that unstable mechanics can cause jitter, and the reason that mechanicaly stable CD-player can sound better than unstable ones. The stability of the clock also matters, as it's used to control the motor etc.

What I don't understand is why the data isn't just fead into a large FIFO and then played back accurately using a stable clock... That way the mechanical parts wouldn't matter.

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen

i thought something similar was how "jog-proof" stuff worked, by sampling a number of times and comparing the bits, then spitting the ones that match more to the DAC? or maybe i'm just hoping that someone would have done it smart like that..?

[quote author="tk@halmi"] liquid nitrogen into my ear canals. This cryogenic treatment should bring the most amazing results to my hearing. All noise should be gone in a few moments.I projected the noise floor of my ear is at -140dB.[/quote]
... But noise floor of the dead chamber is over -10 dB...

And why you not use liquid hydrogen ?
xvlk

I wonder if these guys know that Beer (in green bottles particularly) tastes about 30% better if you face due west when you drink it after 6pm, due east when you drink it before. :green:

SHane

[quote author="Category 5"]I wonder if these guys know that Beer (in green bottles particularly) tastes about 30% better if you face due west when you drink it after 6pm, due east when you drink it before. :green:

SHane[/quote]

when you are over 8,000 feet, it tastes good no matter what time of day, all the Utah beer drinkers know that. That am/pm rule only applies below 8,000 feet.

dave

Please, give me a reasonable explanation for the above.

I've never worked on that side of things, but I believe that one of the biggest factors for this type of thing is the process of cutting the glass master to be used in creating the plate for stamping the cd's. I've heard of quite a few incidents like Dave's (from reputable sources), and it has usually been traced back to that.

Zach

freezing cd's my god man next people will be telling me how one Harddrive sounds better the another Harddrive. :wink: Which A very famous masterting engineer told me that he heard a Difference in hard drives. anyway my best advice for cd's is to put them in a microwave for about 4 sec or less depending on your microwave. Yes it fucks them up and you can't play them but it looks cool and is worth doing to one you are going to throw out.

[quote author="SPG"]I've heard of quite a few incidents like Dave's (from reputable sources), and it has usually been traced back to that.[/quote]
:cool:
so have I
and been involved in some of these tests.

long ago CD was supposed to be perfect and all CD players were going to sound the same.

If one hard drive ever did sound different to another through the same software and hardware combo, the TECH in me say there must be a fault.
The same goes for the CD's mentioned above so I tend to see it from SPG's point of view.

Identify the fault and then find a solution.
Trouble is that DA audio CD is ever so slightly different to CDrom and the way they are read can give rise to differences that are not correctly described as an error.

I'll leave it there as my solid knowledge of the various CD authoring rules is a bit shakey these days and my audio CD player repair and testing was never good. I have guys here that do that for me. Why have a diog and back ... and all that sort of thing.

A little knowledge and a good sales pitch can be dangerous ... or just plain funny.
:thumb:

[quote author="Viitalahde"]different sized butt-plugs[/quote]

Dip them in C37 and you got yourself a product! :roll:

Peace,
Al.

How about $180 for 3 resistors in a "balanced" pad configuration.

http://www.tweakaudio.com/EVS-2/Fixed_Attenuators.html

Okay, this is giving me a picture of a cabin somehwere in the CA mountains.

Do not ship anything to us by mail as we do not get delivery here on anything that does not fit into a rural mail box. We have to drive to the post office and wait in line to pick up any packages sent by mail (more than one half hour).

These attenuators have no chassis and are therefore more transparent than their predecessors.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

In light of this revelation, I am now going to omit the chassis from any future DIY projects to achieve a nice transparent sound.

Morons.

Latest posts

Back