16 or more channel line driver

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which stage you will like for 16 channel line driver

• BA283 output stage

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • BA340

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • DOA + 2503 TX

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • Tube line driver

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Something else

Votes: 3 20.0%

• Total voters

Moby

www.mobytransformers.com BV.8, Bv.11, Bv.12, T14/1
GDIY Supporter
I always wanted to do something like this but never decided what kind of topology to use  :-\ I imagine this like box with unbalanced inputs and transformer balanced outputs with  few fixed gain positions. There is a lot of equipment especially synth modules and keyboards with "boring" output stage so this box can add some life to it . Also this can be used as additional line driver for DAW's or soundcards. When I say "life" I don't think about distortion box. I think about some nice "expensive" character  ;)  I probably forget some nice sounding line driver so please if you notice that vote for "something else" and post the missing one  ;D
Cheers  :)

I would think that a combination of those flavas would be better, similar to people building clones of different pre's instead of all one type.
You can get a much different sound out of a Minimoog depending on the pre you use.
For the effort involved, 8 ch of stereo mic pre flavors would be more suitable, IMHO.
My boilerplate for synths has always been to use good quality, client affordable DI transformers on all stereo outs, and get good pres.  I find that the transformer isolation between each synth is the key to a dead-quiet install.  I have learned that over 20 years of installs, through the semi-pro decade now into DAW land.
Most users are programming through console pres, synth mixer or AD to get vibes and hooks, sounds, and then when they like they switch gears to track everything.
Mike

I would think that a combination of those flavas would be better, similar to people building clones of different pre's instead of all one type.
Good one  ;)
Most users are programming through console pres, synth mixer or AD to get vibes and hooks, sounds, and then when they like they switch gears to track everything.
Mike
Yes, I agree, only I would like to skip input transformer, so not DI just the line driver if you know what I mean .

I voted for something else. Thing is, I like everything to be neutral/straight wire, or  transparent in GS language. If I want color I'll patch in a device that has it, like something Neve or a G9 or whatever.
To have a "color box" with 16 times the same color makes no sense to me.
Moby, are you using a mixer ? How do you mix?

radiance said:
I voted for something else. Thing is, I like everything to be neutral/straight wire, or  transparent in GS language. If I want color I'll patch in a device that has it, like something Neve or a G9 or whatever.
To have a "color box" with 16 times the same color makes no sense to me.
Moby, are you using a mixer ? How do you mix?
Yes , I have large console but I would like to have alternative option . Yes, 16 times same color can be stupid but 16 x wire is the worst thing I ever experienced until we started to work with DAW's . Maybe adding bypass option for every channel can be the option? Not sure  :-\

As I understand it you want to keep all your gear connected all the time...no patching...
In this case such a thing might come in handy.

I just work differently. I mostly make electronic music and basicly I record 1 source at the time.
I mix the outputs of my Aurora with this summing mixer I build..

http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=33104.0

If I want color I can insert pre's, compressors or whatever on both groups or on the master bus.
I can degrade my signal by letting it pass through as much as 6(!!) inserts slots which are switch-able in order. I never do this though  ;-)

I would make a transparent line driver using one of many clean opamps with simple transistor buffer wrapped around it to give it drive capability...

+1 to Radiance's comment.. If you want to add some sonic spice (distortion), use it where and as needed.

JR

Latest posts

Back