Question to moderators re fester limiter build thread possibility

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have I committed some kind of faux pas mentioning this ???

I only want a yes or no, & am quite happy to abide by your decision.   iI really don't want to stir anything up, & I'm not interested it getting into some kind of ethical discussion for months to come !

Actually, I can't say I'm sufficiently familiar with whatever thorns might be a part of this issue.

Could you help us out by listing what you consider might be the pros and cons, since if we all research it individually, we might miss significant parts of the Matter.

If you would like to address all of the moderators simultaneously, but without bringing particular aspects out for a potential bashing by the "general public", I think that the 'report this post to a moderator' function sends the same message to all of the moderators in this particular forum software.

So if you were to compose a message and then paste it into the 'report post' message box, we could all see it without it becoming a public discussion... if that's a concern... (Though I may find myself apologising to the other moderators for sch an unorthodox recommendation, so if public analysis is not a concern, I'd suggest just posting here.)

Keith

Hi Keith,

All I'm suggesting is maybe we could start a thread like most other projects have to assist each other in building these limiters.   If we can keep the politics/morals out of the thread (cos I for one hate all that crap), this would be useful to many people, myself included.  

As to the pro's & cons:

The pro is that it would help people build the limiter.

The cons are ........... who knows  ?  I'm just aware of how heated things seemed to get in the original thread for this limiter.

Rob Flinn said:
All I'm suggesting is maybe we could start a thread like most other projects have to assist each other in building these limiters.   If we can keep the politics/morals out of the thread (cos I for one hate all that crap), this would be useful to many people, myself included.  

As to the pro's & cons:

The pro is that it would help people build the limiter.

+1,

I'm itching to build this puppy, but have a number of questions which I'm sure other folks have.

Mark

I've planned to build the limiter in september/october..
still not carefully examined the docs, will do it next days.
Therefore I'm interested too in a build thread.  :)

bernbrue said:
http://www.diy-racked.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=37
regards
Bernd

Has anyone figured out the value of R115, there's a (*) beside it, but no mention in the BOM or the build notes.

Also, the High Pass filter specifies 5M 1% metal film resistors for a total of $25 in resistors. I have substituted 5.1M 5% carbon film resistors here for a significant cost savings.

Here's my BOM so far.

Remove the ".txt" extension

Mark

Attachments

• TG1-BOM.xls.txt
    86 KB · Views: 14
Mh, dont know.
Thinking about it better..
Uncle Fester has answered on the other forum.. so..
either we'll discuss the issues here, without him, or we should accept to change place.

As a side note, while I'm waiting for my account to be activated..
do you guys have received also the psu PCB?

Since purushas forum has been off line for about 3-4 days now (just as there were some posts happening), I want to start a build thread in the lab for the fester limiter. 

It's not much use to start building up information, & then have the prospect of it being lost.  At least if it's here, it will stay here (hopefully).

So please can the moderators comment on this ?  Is there some reason why Keith is the only person responding here ?  The reason I seek their apporval is because they locked down the other thread on the fester limiter.

I haven't replied yet because a) it is probably mainly Ethan's turn to set the limits of the forum and b) I have little to no idea what the "Fester Limiter" project is.

Personally I think it is less appropriate to use this forum if the build information (e.g. the schematic) is not publicitly available such that people which did not buy a kit or whatever have no benefit at all from the according thread. In such cases I'd rather suggest to use a forum which is more directly related to the project and perhaps also supported by the according sales.

Samuel

Agreed...if the project is public, and the public will benefit from the sharing of the information, then great.

If it's a secret club kinda thing, then it has no place here.

Just my 2.5 rubles.

Samuel Groner said:
Personally I think it is less appropriate to use this forum if the build information (e.g. the schematic) is not publicitly available such that people which did not buy a kit or whatever have no benefit at all from the according thread. In such cases I'd rather suggest to use a forum which is more directly related to the project and perhaps also supported by the according sales.

Samuel

I still think that without Uncle Fester's [the maker of the PCBs] support, a thread here is not ok.

But about public availability of schematics..
just wanted to point out that e.g. pm670 [great] project _is_ indeed without "public" schematic, and, because of that, only for people who bought the PCBs.
But its also to be said that the pricing of the UncleFester's limiter PCBs  vs price of pm670 boards is at least 5/1, so, also because of that, there is less interest here in UF build.

btw the UF limiter's chematics _are_  publicly available.

Back