Tube buffer amplifier?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coldsnow

Would some of these tube buffer amplifier kits, normally used for audiofile stereo systems work as a tube stage during mixing, like in between a recorder and mixer to add tube warmth.

'warmth' like some distortion? depends on circuit. hifi is usually about clean/accurate, not color/warm. especially a simple buffer srpp/totempole/follower---impedance converter/line driver

actually, i have just added an output attenuator to srpp to control output level...
now i can push it to 20db gain for some slight tube distortion.
i wouldnt say its a fantastic tube overdrive/distortion... but its good... but i could do without it tho..
there is already weight of the tranies i have used... using a better design wouldnt cost much more...
i would go with better circuit as shabtek suggesting... or EZ 1290 line in is pretty good at it...

kam

I was actually thinking of puting a pultec filter section before this tube buffer.  After the buffer use a 1:1 transformer, then go to a solid state amp for make up.

Here is a link to:
http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Tube-buffer-amplifier-PCB-w-parts-Musical-Fidelity_W0QQitemZ120454899742QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item1c0babe81e&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

I would never buy that one because it's a starved plate design. He takes 12volts and voltage doubles it up to...... something..... to power the tube plate. I don't use starved plate designs. The rest of it looks pretty good. Good coupling caps. I have used tubes in my studio for a long time before I got into transistor designs. We like tubes for the harmonics they provide. Not distortion but harmonics. Yes, tubes can distort and often due. But that's not what we're seeking. I would want to see the schematic before I purchased that. Some of the guys in HK will give the schematic and some won't. I ain't gonna' buy it unless I know what the circuit is first. And watch out.... Some of those guys will pretend to not understand what you want but really do understand. Just keep hammering on them. They'll give up the goods. You could always buy that board and shitcan the voltage doubler and build your own high-voltage B+ supply. That's pretty easy. DW.

http://glass-ware.stores.yahoo.net/newhardware.html

they do Aikido amps... line/mic/headphone etc...

Why not try a gyraf pultec style EQ? It has a nice srpp and a filter section in front.
Or you can use just the srpp board as it is nicely self contained.

I believe I have that linked ebay pcb...did not build it though I do have the blue leds to light the tubes. it is starved plate I believe. thought I might hack it but the power supply is funky deriving the B+ through voltage multiplier, filaments in series...low gain tubes. topology is similar to a NYD 1bottle which is a nice clean circuit.
@maxheadroom:"no" hi-fi runs generally runs lots of negative feedback to get a nice linear transfer. it does not distort so nicely when pushed real hard.
I look at hamptone/nyd mila for o.d. crunch

Back