ssl controls

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kambo

wouldnt be possible to use standard pots for continuous  controls on attack, release and ratio controls.... rather than stepped lorlin switches...

ie:
attack 270k pot
release 1M pot with u47 tant ground from leg
ratio 3M pot
and may be a switch for taste for cw option

kam

What Keith said, plus ratio is somewhat trickier than just a pot, as the standard SSL behavior is to move the threshold along with the ratio.

JDB.
[but it's worth an experiment, and maybe you'll find that you don't care too much]

yes, keeping the ratio switch, makes sense. but, rest as pots, so, i can have a very small footprint for the controllers.
( i am thinking as mixer channel compressor with different PCB design, no power supply, no amp stage, turbo on board etc etc)

kam

Turbo doesn't work for mono applications anyhow, so don't worry about that.

I wouldn't recommend the SSL as a first choice for many channel applications however, becasue it's PEAK limiting; most of the first-choice channel compressors are RMS... including the SSL channel compressor.

I'd build the pico compressor if it were me.

Keith

thank you for the info tho, re: RMS and peak compression. pico makes more sense now..
i actually had Pico  in my mind. bought a stereo PCB while ago but never ordered rest of the parts...
its possible make a very small footprint for controllers with 10 led GR meter.

my mixer most likely be 4 stereo (BA283 line modules from M.) plus some tube mono channels.
i am still trying to figure out which is best for my work flow... 4 stereo vs 8 mono..

kam

Latest posts

Back