front panel dxf or dwg files

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mac

Hello all,

I am going to use a local lazer etching company here in Oz to do some front panels up for me. To save me designing all the graduation markings for the gain pots etc, does anyone know of a resource of .dxf or .dwg files which contain example potentiometer markings?

If not I shall draft them all up from scratch.

Mac.

P.S. if people are willing to send me their files, I will compile all the info together to provide one big .dxf which has as many styles of control surface markings as I can collect.... all in one place for all DIY'ers to share. This way others will be able to just look through and choose which one they like to use on their project in the future... :)

I don't know about autocad files but here's something you could use.

http://stiftsbogtrykkeriet.dk/~mcs/Scale.html

you can export as pdf / HPGL / eps / png

works fine for me.

cheers.
Jr.

Hey Jr,
Thats awesome thanks very much. I am still keen to pursue the .dxf "meta" drawing though - as most laser cut and etching guys seem to want CAD drawings. I did my original design in photoshop which was fine for getting the setout looking pretty - but not much good in terms of sending a file to a machinist.

Also, after searching and reading others posts - I saw lots of discussion about this topic but no resources actually available for use, so perhaps a "meta" CAD file might benefit others.

cheers,
Mac

you're welcome Mac.

I think I got an solution for you.

here the thing:

photoshop===>export path to illustrator===>illustrator===>save as dwg or dxf===>CAD software

this should work, I think you have wait to be on your cad software for the text cause I rember that autocad have trouble importing the fonts from the illustrator format.

cheers.
Jr.

yeah, it is one of those problems - photoshop is good at font varietys but crap at precision - CAD is good for your engineering mind but useless in terms of creativity.

I dont have Illustrator, but a friend of mine does, so I shall try your suggestion...

I started doing some up in CAD this morning so if the file is small enough to post here I will put up what i have done - At least it is a start!

mac

maybe this could work (not tested)
eps to dxf
http://www.pstoedit.net/pstoedit/

another thing, it's a free vector base software, works great...you can export as dxf or dwg
http://www.inkscape.org/
it can import HPGL and Eps format

cheers.
Jr.

As promised....I have put my front panel file from my current project up in the groupdiy account at gmail.

It is a dxf file, you can get free readers online if you dont want to work in this format. I presume everyone is just using Frontpanel Express.

If anyone is needing any front panel markings set out in CAD (.dxf or .dwg format) let me know.....I'll see what I can do.

:)

Mac

Mac

Out of interest, where are you getting your stuff lasered and any offerings about price would be really interesting.

Kindest
Rich

Hey Rich,
Actually i am having a really hard time trying to find people. One chap I got a quote from was Ian French who seems really helpful
www.laser3d.com.au - Blacktown NSW.

No one seems to be able to have a go at etching painted steel though, (which is what my panel is at the moment). I am trying to get that old Aussie AWA blue gray coloured front panel with white lettering. Ian suggested anodising an alluminium panel to the colour I want and then laser etching that.

Worked out about $100 per panel for plain silver aluminium and about double that to colour match with anodising, and then etch the markings.

Mac.

I have a few tips.

If you are gonna use Illustrator, never export dwg. To many issues pop up. The stable format is dxf. Industry standard "drawing exchange format".

If you are gonna supply dxf files to a metal working machine shop, the drawings must be 100% complete. They must be drawn in 1st angle or 3rd angle projection and note the drawing as such. Show all dimensions. Show all hidden lines for every view. Triple check to make sure that all the views are correct in relationship to each other.

In my experience, if your CAD files are not right or complete, you won't get a quote or even a call back from these metal guys. They are very particular. After I brushed up on 3rd angle projection, I found that some shops still will never even get back to you.

I would actually suggest even having a friend or maybe someone who is CAD savvy(like our very own Skylar!) do your drawings for you. Maybe this will be a new side job for Skylar.  8)

My experiences are with US metal/fab shops. This may differ in other parts of the World. I think Mike from Hairball can verify what a PIA these metal dudes can be! ::)

Cheers, Jeff

If you are gonna use Illustrator, never export dwg. To many issues pop up. The stable format is dxf. Industry standard "drawing exchange format".

Thanks Jeff, yes I agree - Illustrator and Photoshop are great for realism but lousy on accuracy. They also tend to destroy text layers depending upon the raster settings. I use CAD in my day job and have stuck with this for precision. DXF is the local language here in Oz too...

Mac

Just to add, Frontpanel offers a scale generator at their site. Works fine.

yeah..
I do hope that CAD does a great job but what about the finishing look it gives if not at all in photoshop and Illustrator

mac said:

Thanks Jeff, yes I agree - Illustrator and Photoshop are great for realism but lousy on accuracy. They also tend to destroy text layers depending upon the raster settings. I use CAD in my day job and have stuck with this for precision. DXF is the local language here in Oz too...

Mac

Hey Mac,
I have a feeling part of your problem is that you're asking for etching painted steel.
The almost infinite variety of paint formulations is a problem; it's impossible to know in advance which acid will work on your particular paint, and how well it will react with steel.
Most etching companies are familiar enough with anodizes aluminium, so they tend to stick to it. Beware of the fact that colour matching is a hit and miss with anodization.
Sine apparently your metalwork is done, I think you should consider mechanical engraving or silk-screening. The former requires a dxf file, the latter a print file such as eps or even a Photoshop file. The cost od silk screening, even considering that you have to pay the screen, tools and setup fees for just one or two pieces is in fact not really higher than the other methods. A nice point with silk screening is that you can check the film visually against the actual metalwork before committing to the fixed costs.
Mechanical engraving is valuable for its durability, but is limited in the amount of detail and the astronomic cost.
Please find attached a couple of examples of what you may require. They are release 12 dxf, so should be opened with any subsequent version. These are certainly what you want, but if you gave me a good description of what you want, I could probably do that in my spare time (do I have some?).
EDIT: couldn't upload the .dxf files, so I'm attaching jpeg's and if you're interested, I'll mail them to you.

Attachments

• Level 0-10.jpg
    Level 0-10.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 10
I just wanted to post that Chae Hamm from Prodigy Engineering (the company that host's prodigy pro etc..) does laser etching here in the US. I had him do 3 front panels for me about a year ago and all where really nice plus price was cheap! Info can be found on the White market or at http://www.prodigy-eng.com/Services.aspx

Back