1176 theory of operation/circuit description???

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loss1234

I am new here and I hope I don't get in trouble for asking this, But in all my searches here on HOW the 1176 works, I have found nothing yet that goes through and does an analysis of what each part is doing.
I am probrably just overlooking it.

I ask these questions because I hope to be able to learn enough from such notes to learn how to make FET style compressors.

I was looking for something similar for the La4a as well.

thanks so much. (any tips on searching would be helpful too)

At the top of this column is a thread called
greetings new members
it recomennds searching the metas first
to best inform yourself

as you probably know you can also just google it
the manuals are around and that's a good start

thanks

yes, I did go the FOR NEW MEMBERS yesterday.

I think part of the problem is there are just so many threads and many of them are long.
i did google this site a lot and I did go to the meta thread for the 1176.

if you use the search here and type in

1176 circuit description
or theory of operation

you dont get much

most likely it is IN There but will take a lot more searching.

maybe it is called something else.

sorry to sound so clueless.

The theory of operation of a FET compressor is fairly simple and you can get that from a general search (eg Wikipedia etc). The 1176 is a FET compressor so the theory applies to it.

The nitty-gritty circuit operation for the 1176 is understood when you know how to read and understand electronic circuits, however generally there's an input section (balanced to single ended), a FET for gain reduction, a high-gain preamplifier (approx 26dB) from which the output is tapped to feed the gain-reduction stage. The gain reduction stage is an amplifier and full wave rectifier whose output is fed to an RC network (attack/release) and mixed with the FET bias before being connected to the FET gate. There is also an output amplifier (about 10dB) which drives the transformer to provide a balanced output.

thanks guys for all the help

i am generally very good at reading schematics BUT even still, i find that for me knowing exactly what each resistor and cap is doing
is always good when you are trying to really absorb information about a design.

not to mention that any schematic with a bunch of transistors is much harder for me to understand than an opamp design

(which is why i am also trying to ingest the 1178 schematics at the same time)

that how it works link looks really good and for those interested, i also found this. (it is great and
goes into a lot of interesting details)

(it's on JH's site which is one of my favorites)

http://www.jhaible.de/compressor/jh_compress.html

"It" does something similar to this one:
http://sound.westhost.com/project67.htm

but uses different building blocks (discrete).

Latest posts

Back