advice on moding Studio Projects C1

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

synthetik42

Hi 

I've been thinking about modifying my SP C1, and am looking for some advice on what the best components to replace would be.

I was considering replacing the capsule with one made by Bees Kneez, which would be an M7 clone.  I contacted them for advice, and they also recommended replacing the electrolytic caps for wet tantalum, as well as replacing high impedance resistors.  I also asked about adding an output transformer for color, and they recommended a Cinemag 9911.

This is my first time modding a mic, and am wondering if this sounds like a good idea?  As of now the C1 is kind of collecting dust, and I'd like to make it into something a bit nicer. 

Here is a pic of the inside of the mic: 
SPC1.jpg

I had one long ago and liked a Wima FP2 best as capsule2FET (even more than polystyrene). Other than that I replaced all the poly caps with the best Wima that fits. You get a lot more clarity, but the mic is also very bright (like most chinese ones). A better capsule will help here.

I changed a capsule to gate cap to a polystyrene and increased the coupling caps to the EFs it did not make much difference if any.  The 1 gig resistors are fine IMO I have no problem with them.

Thanks for the advice guys.

Living Sounds; what do you mean by capsule2FET?  Which cap are you referring to?

Latest posts

Back