Pod Farm Plugin, free iLok license

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benlindell

Hey guys, I just read about this deal, Line 6 is giving out their Pod Farm Plug-in. Pretty easy to get.

http://www.line6.com/news/offers/864

Nice one !
There was a great one at IK Multimedia which was a "buy 1 get 5 free" plugin deal but
when I found it, the forum was down and I couldn't post :-(
It ended a few days ago ...... sorry .....

MM.

Without starting a huge argument which slings abuse (think Gearslutz.....), has anyone ever managed to get a good sound out of Podfarm or other line6 modellers?

Please restore my faith if you have.

Hi,

Excuse my slowness ... but after updating the iLok, where do you download the actual software?

And Deuce42, I agree.
Line6 products do something nasty to my teeth.
But ..... as it appears to be free, perhaps worth checking a little closer.

Bye,
aomahana.

deuce42 said:
Without starting a huge argument which slings abuse (think Gearslutz.....), has anyone ever managed to get a good sound out of Podfarm or other line6 modellers?

Yes I have :)  ... but don't record "several" guitar parts with Line 6 products, as they tend to get a similar "tone" and
become indistinct in a mix !  ( it's the speaker sim part that seems to be the culprit )
Amp or decent pre-amp is usually better, though using a DIY speaker sim at the back of my Pod XT really helps ( ROG Condor/ Marshall )
The new guitar amp / pedalboard in Logic Pro 9 are stunning though.
MM.

I still prefer main & important guitar tracks being done the old fashioned way with amps speakers & outboard IMO.

The amp modeling stuff is good enough, with tweaking, (turn down the wasp in a jar preset  ;D) for background textures & parts, demos & saving recording time. You also have the choice of trying various sounds when trying scratch guitar parts while tracking, useful for trying different amp tones & FX. Also try turning off the amp / speaker simulation & send the signal to an amp if you don't have certain FX options in your rack / pedalboard  ;)

I've actually had some great results using Amplitube & Johnson J Station custom presets being reamped through a Little Labs Red Eye, usually I will re-record important guitar tracks the old way later on after trying various sounds out first.

It's always nice to also have a DI Guitar track recorded so that you can leave options open, or wait till you can borrrow your mates gear later on!!!! ;D

trancedental said:
It's always nice to also have a DI Guitar track recorded so that you can leave options open, or wait till you can borrrow your mates gear later on!!!! ;D

Yeah, taking a split signal and recording a dry part can be useful later, I try to do that whenever possible.
( I need a re-amp box ! )
MM.

thanks for that. As for it being useful, I have found things like the pod and other amp modeling plug ins work best on things other then guitar.  For example, Guitar Rig is great for vocal fx.

And I am deviating off the topic here but I have found a lot more success overdriving mic preamps for guitars - particularly for lead lines although rhythms don't seem to get as good results. This often attracts bemusment from people who see mic preamps as being for mics only.  I am particularly excited by Guavatones Orange 86 because being a tube pre, it may have even better response than my op amp mic pre guitar experiments have yielded. 

My approach is to then add some convolution plugin onto the recorded di mic-pre track to calm it down and make it sound a bit more like a cabinet. Something like Voxengo's free plug in. I note that an Aussie band called Dallas Crane recorded a guitar solo on one of  the songs on their new album, purely with the di of JLM Audio's TG mic pre.

deuce42 said:

I think for the ocassional sound-mangling, it will work great. Have to install it and play with it yet. But, in my experience, anything coming out of a pod is very, very hard to mix.

Hmm, for rock/metal guitar, the Pod can be a jewel. Give a try to this preset :)
Screamer (tubescreamer emulation) + Mesa Dual Rectifier + Mesa cab + mic of your choice & 30% of room, a little of (brite) room reverb and you're pretty done !
preset found on ultimate-metal, at the Andy Sneap forum.

Works like a charm for my tastes !

Guitar Rig is huge for the routing possibities, but for now, I haven't find yet a good way to work with, except for making strange sounds  ;D

Nice looking plugin, i installed it and tried on many non-guitar sources. Many interesting sounds came out of it. For free, i´m loving it. Another weapon to the ever-expanding arsenal.

Latest posts

Back