what, no beer talk in the brewery?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have become a big fan of "Hoegarten"  - a Belgian wheat beer not " a garden full of hoe's " BTW !!!
( though that does have a nice ring to it )

MM

MartyMart said:
I have become a big fan of "Hoegarten"  - a Belgian wheat beer not " a garden full of hoe's " BTW !!!
( though that does have a nice ring to it )

MM

It's spelled with a D !!!

Hoegaarden

but the "hoe" does sound more like "you", instead of "know"

I'm a big duvel fan though

Hoegaarden is regarded as a bit of a "girls beer" here because it's so light and lemon soda like. Doesn't help they serve it in that massive ice mug so it looks like a cocktail.

My all time favourite is another Belgian called Brigand. Too bad it's very rarely available anywhere.

was enjoying PBR most of this year....but have discovered the pleasures of miller-lite in recent weeks.
edit:  oh yeah, I brewed about 30-40gallons diy beer this year, some extract recipes but mostly all-grain. only the 2.5g batch of lager was really memorable. a 15g batch had way too much body for a light crisp wheat beer, and I have been heavy handed with the cascade hops...that is why I've turned to the lighter refreshing mass produced stuff. I made 10g of "german wheat" in may and it was quite good, light, refreshing but was tapped-out by the middle of June.
I've got another 2.5 in the fridge lagering now, 5g "anchor steam" and 5g 'Kolsch" fermenting in the closet.
The last brewday went well; ended up with 12.5g from the 15.5g half-barrel brewpot. first 2.5g went with lager yeast, next 5g 45min later with more aroma hops went with kolsch yeast, and last 5g 30 min later with an additional ounce of simcoe hops and california ale yeast.
the latter 2 yeasts were propagated from earlier batches.
If things work out we may be imbibing at the next chicago DIY meeting.
Winter is around the corner so next batch will be a stout/porter

Wow.... PBR and Miller Lite...

Are they even considered beers?  ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXrvZQdgD6c

Old Speckled Hen is a nice ale, I must confess that I don't particularly enjoy wheat beers, mainly because of their fragrance, but I don't 'look down upon them' in any way... -they're just "not my thing" if you catch my drift. (or if you catch my draught... although -thinking about it- ...you probably DON'T want to catch my draft!)

Anyhow... where was I?

Oh yes... the I recently introduced the Brass Band to the local pub where I first met my wife all those years ago. -The band has changed rehearsal locations and now rehearses right by the pub, and being that it's a British-style band, I thought that they should hang in a proper British Pub.

The owner of the pub used to play football (soccer) for Liverpool FC in the 1970's, and also used to own the nearest pub to my house in Liverpool, so -while I never used to visit the place- we have a couple of things in common.

The best (most reliable) stuff there is Guinness and Old Speckled hen. When at home I've been drinking 'Nastro Azzurro' or Kronenbourg 1664 for a lighter/crisper beer, which is what I usually tend to prefer at home in the heat of the Florida summer.

Keith

Budvar (and Pilsener Urquell, Staropramen and Bernard even though I'm sure Dan will know better!), London Pride, Sierra Nevada, Fuerstenberg, Zipfer, Koelsch, Paulaner, Peroni Nastro Azzuro, Timothy Taylor's Landlord, St. Peter's Ale.

Hi Keith,

I  hope your "1664" is the genuine Strasbourg brewed FRENCH beer, not the disgusting hog-swill made in the UK under "Licence". (Stella Artois is the same! We only live just over the channel for crissakes!) Surely they must be contravening SOME kind of trades description law. One Beer, one label, yet two entirely different tastes . . .

I am a big fan of German Weissbier, Pils, Hell, and Belgian beers in general.

I am not sure you can really call Hoegaarden a girls drink . . . not unless the girls LIKE falling over . . .it's pretty potent stuff! Lemon . . . YEUCH. no thanks. I do especially like the corriander flavour of this beer.

timmy taylors if you'r talking Ale, and Speckled Hen is one that actually tastes quite good from a CAN . . .

All I can tell you is that the US '1664' says "imported" on the label and it is quite drinkable and rather pleasantly crisp. -The kegged 1664 however I do not enjoy; it has tasted somewhat 'skunky' by comparison on the three occasions on which I've tried it (in three different locations). -You've now made me ponder whether your observations identify a possible cause for this troubling 'schizophrenic flavour'.

Certainly, the bottled stuff is crisp and satisfying; a truly delightful summer beer. The draught stuff over here by contrast is less suited to refreshment, and apparently more suited to keeping you focused on an apparently higher alcoholic flavour.

Keith

an old hoogarden called benedictin was, for me,  the king of the beer, but hoogarden stop produce it, it was like a psychedelic trip....
a lot of belgian beer, and of course the guinness... i don't know why, but after 3 or 4 pints, the world seems more peacefull

I wish these were more widely available: http://www.flyingdogales.com/Default.aspx

(beer and internet just doesn't work does it. looking at that site I just feel damn thirsty now!)

I don't understand why a yankee would bother with "imports" when they have breweries like that. Snake Dog is my favourite of those, but I haven't had a chance to try them all yet.

Kamel said:
and of course the guinness... i don't know why, but after 3 or 4 pints, the world seems more peacefull

guess that's the reason RAF commandos and paratroopers always carry two pints of the stuff in their survival kit.

The last time I was in a bar, no one was talking about their libations. . . hic!
I have been in a deep rut with my Corona Grandes and lime.  The grandes come in a brown box and do not get skunky :thums up:
Probably will stay there till the first frost, then it's smuggled porters from Canada.
Mike

hmmm...

Anyone here drink "John Smiths" ??? (that ones for the brits here)
I used to live about 5 miles from the Tadcaster brewery for that stuff... sunday lunch with a few pints of that (on hand pull... none of that CO2 nonsense) was bliss.

Here in the states, I've taken to drinking Lawenbrau (not sure if my spelling is right), and some of the Shiner Bocks... There's a particular Kolsh they make that is lovely.

Other than that... finding anything that I'd consider "good" beer has been very difficult.

For some reason, people think that Newcastle Brown is a good ale here...

Honestly.  ???

I drank up the last of my home brew on Sunday when I had company over.  The raw material to make more is already on a truck headed for my personal brewery so i won't be without for very long.

I have yet to find anything from the market that compares to fresh brewed.  I have some home made wine laying around I may  imbibe if the spirits move me, but I much prefer my manly stouts.

JR

King Ludwig made in Fussen. i've had it in germany. the bottled king fussen here (USA) is not the same.
some beer snobs may attack this nod but i've tried quite a few while drinking free in the pubs as "the band".
after going through quite a few microbrews i found that heinekin on tap can hold its own against any of them.

In London I liked bitter on tap. Here in US I prefer whether local breweries, or something like Czech Lager Lev, Guiness, Pilsner Urcuell, some German Hefeweisen, or Chimey.

And of course this local one beats them all:

37551712_d3a36240c7_o.gif

SSLtech said:
All I can tell you is that the US '1664' says "imported" on the label and it is quite drinkable and rather pleasantly crisp.

The giveaway is that it is 6.4%. Standard imported Kronenbourg being 4% or thereabouts. The Bristish-brewed version is very mediocre and doesn't hold much in common. The Stella here is dire. Nothing like the real stuff which has a hoppy/weedy smell.

Yes, the true Stella has a slight fragrance of fresh cilantro, I always imagined.

-I tried it first in England, and wondered what all the fuss and advertising was about. Some years later I tried it in France, and I understood!

Over here it seems pretty good. -I don't know that it's ALL as good as the Belgian original, but it's streets ahead of the UK swill.

Keith

Back