Ideal DIY Preamp for passive summing mixer external gain stage?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pucho812 said:
Andy Peters said:
pucho812 said:
My two cents when it comes to passive summing is that the make up amps should be tube because tubes sound better when handing complex audio information.

Even though the vast majority of music made in the last fifty years has gone through hundreds of stages of humble op-amps?

-a

that is true and I am not knocking op-amps at all, To do a large console would need opamps as using tubes there would just be difficult to handle, hell even a small console you need them but if your just  doing 2  preamps for make up gain, one for left and right, try tubes.

That's sort of the Behringer argument. "Just run it through a tube, it'll warm up your sound!"

-a

Andy Peters said:
pucho812 said:
Andy Peters said:
pucho812 said:
My two cents when it comes to passive summing is that the make up amps should be tube because tubes sound better when handing complex audio information.

Even though the vast majority of music made in the last fifty years has gone through hundreds of stages of humble op-amps?

-a

that is true and I am not knocking op-amps at all, To do a large console would need opamps as using tubes there would just be difficult to handle, hell even a small console you need them but if your just  doing 2  preamps for make up gain, one for left and right, try tubes.

That's sort of the Behringer argument. "Just run it through a tube, it'll warm up your sound!"

-a

Behringer copied that too....  8)

I recall seeing lamps or LEDs mounted behind tubes in wannabe products to reinforce the illusion of real tubes in use.  Truly phoolish.

I am proud of the very small handful (2)  of real tube products by AMR/Peavey (VCL comp/limiter & VMP mic preamp) that do not suck and are not distortion effects.

JR

Back