Ban dihydrogen monoxide. this is too funny

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
grade ten science, our teacher hands us a quiz about an awful chemical named exactly that... I think I was the only person who knew the name of it and got it right. Everyone else failed, then complained and the teacher got erased the test from everyone's mark haha. People are funny

I think the Pen & Teller show is really entertaining, but a lot of the time they find the worst representative of the position they are exposing as bullsh%t to pick on. For example, when they did a show on natural medicine they had a guy that uses a plunger on people to eliminate toxins representing alternative medicine. That's like saying Al-Qaeda speaks for and represents all Muslims. A friend of mine said it best when he said "they pick on the retard." They find the person that makes it easiest to prove their point.

Other than that...the show is friggin' hilarious...I just take it with a grain of salt.

I once read an article describing all the conjunction of parameters that had made life appear on earth, presenting water as " a strong organic solvent". When you think of it from this angle, you never see it as ordinary anymore...

> presenting water as "a strong organic solvent".

It is really dangerous stuff. It dissolved the Grand Canyon, and similar gullies all over the world. It does dissolve many-many-many things. All life has to find odd materials like cellulose and lignin to stay together on a watery world.

Vonnegut's "Ice Nine" is the answer. It is a polymorph of H2O which freezes at 45.8°C (114.4°F), and will seed-crystalize ordinary Ice Ih into Ice Nine. Over most of the biosphere, Ice Nine is harmless.

But what is MUCH worse: Oxygen. It is a vile poison and highly combustable. While we do manage to live with it, note how close to disaster we are. O2 at full atmospheric pressure turned an Apollo test into a blast furnace. Our engines manage 20% O2; if you picture them at 100% O2 they would not last 4 seconds (lifetime of a fuel dragster piston). The wood on my deck gently turns grey over years; at 100% O2 it would crumble to dust in days, except at 100% O2 trees could not grow as fast as their cellulose would oxidize away.

Ban Oxygen.

Back