drum kit refurbishing ?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Svart

not sure about websites for just referb, do you need parts? I use www.drummaker.com, the also sell coverings. i did referb an old slingerland set once but i kept it wood instead of recovering. I clean my hardware with this stinky blue chrome/metal polish.. i forget the name, i can check tonight when i get home.

http://www.porkpiedrums.com/ look at the 'services' selection under the 'products' column. They'll refinish and recut edges, etc.. Good work, but somewhat costly.

also check out http://www.precisiondrum.com they do everything including providing hardware, shells, edge cutting, coverings,etc... These guys also OEM lots of coverings and hardware/shells for several companies.

Peace,

JC

Watch out if you ask for help at any drum lists, they have some goofy ideas about this kind of stuff. If you are going to put a wrap on them or vaneer then just sandthem to smooth them out abit and clean off any dirt and glue on the vaneer or put on the wrap. If you want to stick with the wood of the drum itself be ready for alot of sanding. Just start sanding and keep at it untill any finish, glue, gunk is removed and the shell is all one color. Do not go below 220 grit sandpaper, you do not want to get to aggressive and sand through the first layer of ply. If you need to fill any hole use a plug cutter in a drill or a dowel of the same type of wood and fill them with that. Drummers for some reason really like to just use putty and then throw a wrap on the drum. I really do not have much faith in the acoustic properties of putty. If you need to redo the bearing edges things start getting tricky, a table saw does a good job of cutting the shell down, use a ply wood/laminates blade, or a hand saw and some time. Then you will need a router table starting the bearing edges and then finish them off by hand. Make sure any reinforcement hoops are glued in very well before you route the edges. If you have not router you can do them with files and sandpaper, it will just take more time. If you are not sure about how the bearing edge effects the sound just ask some drummers, most will not be able to help you, but eventualy you will come accross one that can answer all your questions. any metal is just chrome and you can just get some automotive type chrome cleaner and scrub away.

adam

Back