Yamaha LS9-16 digital console users out there?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abecedarian

I'm looking at purchasing this console for a install situation.  Any one have experience with the unit?  I'm interested in the reverb and e.q. section quality and ease of use. Does the reverb add up to the TC Electronic M3000?  TIA

Hi,

I can not compare it with the TC, but we use a 32 in the Theather I work in, typical yamaha sound you love it or you hate it, it you are used to digital consoles it is easy to use, but it has no touch screen, but that is why it is reasonably priced.

DJN

It's got the Rev-X algorithms for reverbs and such.  Dunno how that directly compares to TC, because I'm rarely in a gig that needs much reverb.  Decent enough, anyways.  I use an LS9-32 a fair amount, mostly on acoustic music.  No problems with the sound, and none of my clients have ever complained either.

Like all Yamaha boards it can be *very* fast to use once you get used to it.

I´ve used LS9:s both 16 and 32, and I love it, IMO way more slick features than the older generation of Yamaha consoles (01V/DM1000/DM2000) and easier to carry ayound than the M7, wich we also have. I never compared the FX to any TC outboard but the effects sound and feel like they´ve always do in Yamaha, I like them, some people might not, but I think there´s so much more to choosing a mixer than the internal effects. Just make sure that the people are used to digital consoles, or You´re in trouble ;)

I'm the one who has to learn how to run it by Oct. 15.  It's just for a solo gig (me singing, playing the grand piano along with occasional backing tracks).  I need to eq and compress output to three locations; my monitor mix, FOH and a mono sum to the houses in-ceiling Bose system.  Shouldn't be too hard to get going right?  I hope the eq for the house sounds good. 

It has full 4-band parametric EQ and compression on each input and output, and if that's not enough, there are up to 8 31-band graphic EQs that can be used as insert effects. It's a good sounding board and pretty easy to get around on. You won't have any problems. I just wish it had a touch screen. Cursoring around with buttons can be a bit tedious.

I'm a Live Sound Engineer,
I had to use that desk quite a lot of times now.

I will be completely honest,
the Mic Pre's are really weak, and the summing for the stereo out sounds hollow and under a blanket.

The effects don't compare at all to a TC M3000, are qutie inferior.

The EQ is a bit nasal, of course it's flexible but it doesn't sound good at all.

Small PA companies love them, because they can take to small gigs,  leaving at home external rack processors (effects, graphics, gates , compressors), they are also quite easy to Operate.
But ask any live sound engineer and you will see that no one likes their sound at all.

Whoops said:
But ask any live sound engineer and you will see that no one likes their sound at all.

I'm a live sound engineer, and I like the sound. 

OK, I've used better compressors.  But that's about it.  I'd rather have the LS9 than a Midas Venice any day.

Hi Scodiddly,
I totally respect your opinion,
we really have different views, although the Venice lacks Phase invert and a PAD functions I think the sound is really superior to the LS9.
The Pre's and EQ sound decent enough and the summing doesn't sound muffled.

I can understand also the capabilities of a digital desk like the LS9, where you can save your session settings, and that you have Compressor, Gate , EQ and FX already in the same unit. It's really easygoing in that sense.

thanks for your opinion

It can be a little un-interesting at FOH, but as an IEM rig it's the shit!  I used one daily for 6 months and I couldn't complain.

-Casey

Latest posts

Back