New Ideas

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

detonator

Most topics in this forum are about building clones of the past. Sometimes with nowadays improvements. There's absolutely nothing wrong with it. But isn't it possible to design something new "all together" machine (like a channelstrip, or psychoacoustic enhancer) with new influences of our own. Split it 2 models, one affordable to build for everyone and one for those who want to spend some more. An other idea is a designers challenge, with the same basic idea?

I know it's difficult, because certain companies a following these forums, with back in mind that they copy schematics for their ow purposes.

Great majority of those whom are capable of coming up with new designs make their living out of this. And considering that designing something new takes considerable time and effort, I would think there would have to be some financial reward for them to take part in it.

> But isn't it possible to design something new...

No. Everything new was already invented before. Especially in Audio.

OK, I'm being a little flip. Certainly you can throw six transistors together in a way which isn't 100% Original, but not a copy of any specific Classic. analag has posted several clean-paper ideas. I must have scribbled some. I can't find it now, but recently there was a 27-transistor op-amp plan being flogged. Hacking a 20mA meter into a 10mA. Even folks who Sell designs for a living sometimes have a few throw-aways, more suitable for casual DIY than for production. There have been others.

> ...perhaps the Brewery would be more appropriate?

Let's see where this goes.

I want to do a pc board (gulp) that has a V76 and LA2a all on the same board.
This is a great vocal chain.
but a lot of wiring for the v76, too much to have both.
but with a good layout, we could cram those two together.

this way we can get sued by two companies at the same time.  :D

howabout an API into a 1176, all on one board?

or a V72>Pultec?

the combinations are endless.

sahib said:
I would think there would have to be some financial reward for them to take part in it.
True, I don't know about how much we're talking about. But if we all donate for the jackpot, or a company throws in a price package, that would be a solution

I have a JFET mic preamp cookin' (designing would be the wrong term for that process... ;)). Rough topology: input/output iron, differential JFET input stage, second JFET gain stage, bipolar output stage. Still in simulation state, haven't built a prototype yet. Don't know if that counts as something new, it's just some concepts I had in my head thrown together and turning some screws until it seems to work.

And while I'm here: hello everybody! Have been reading for a while and was quite impressed by the knowledge and craftsmanship of some people here. And now I'm pretty spoilt for building even more stuff than I already did... thanks for that ;D.

Cheers, Volker

CJ said:
I want to do a pc board (gulp) that has a V76 and LA2a all on the same board.
This is a great vocal chain.
but a lot of wiring for the v76, too much to have both.
but with a good layout, we could cram those two together.

this way we can get sued by two companies at the same time.  :D

howabout an API into a 1176, all on one board?

or a V72>Pultec?

the combinations are endless.

A more "elastic" approach (or a "look-alike") to a "fixed-in-a-box" chaining  "LEGO-bricks" would be:

- to design a PCBoard-per-functional block (1176, younameit...)
-to make them have a standardised interconnecting layout (f.e. all having the same 3-screw terminals for I/O and rails for easy and quick solderless chain reconfiguring if need be..)
-to design all PCBoards to a unified size (f.e. all euro-sized) having holes for screws in same places, to fit in a box like LEGO-bricks in order to not put a builder under un-needed intelectual pressure (aka why doesn't it fit here...xxxxx)
- (err...) a PSU with multiple, decoupled rail outs for standard (+/-15) modules
-(err..) "esoteric" psus

(perhaps too much trouble..)

A couple originals that immediately come to mind;

PRR VariMu Compressor
NewYorkDave OneBottle Preamp
Tamas GainBloak / FETBloak Discrete Opamp
Samuel Groner SGA-SOA Discrete Opamp
jdbakker Discrete Opamp (the one being flogged)
Forsell Opto Compressor

How much these are based on prior art..... well, frankly, who cares? Read the development threads and learn more than you thought possible over the interweb.

skipwave said:
A couple originals that immediately come to mind;

PRR VariMu Compressor
NewYorkDave OneBottle Preamp
Tamas GainBloak / FETBloak Discrete Opamp
Samuel Groner SGA-SOA Discrete Opamp
jdbakker Discrete Opamp (the one being flogged)
Forsell Opto Compressor

How much these are based on prior art..... well, frankly, who cares? Read the development threads and learn more than you thought possible over the interweb.

There are some my DOA's too. Expecially my APP10 is a new and modern design DOA.................
Moreover, APP2050 is an improved version of 2520, but I've changed so many things at this op amp that 2050 in its version 5 is very different from 2520. 

There has been some a little bit different circuits posted over the years.  I my case there was a thread about a bit different bias and microphone shape microphone I built that seemed to go nowhere.

One preamp was so cool and there are no current posts.  It was more original than any of the posted ones so far IMO.

I think paint by numbers is what most people want. 

I've been thinking about a dual band compressor.  Primarily use would be for bass guitars.  I'm thinking about using lows for compressing the dynamic range when using lower strings and limiting the highs when slapping.
It could be something as simple as a single xover knob with two mono pico comps as a starter.  I'd love it to be in 500 series format.  The only thing is that I lack the design ability.  ;D
anyone would like to tackle that?

BR said:
I've been thinking about a dual band compressor.  Primarily use would be for bass guitars.  I'm thinking about using lows for compressing the dynamic range when using lower strings and limiting the highs when slapping.
It could be something as simple as a single xover knob with two mono pico comps as a starter.  I'd love it to be in 500 series format.  The only thing is that I lack the design ability.  ;D
anyone would like to tackle that?

It's possible to do, in these days I'm designing a opto compressor.
the dual band compressor could be using two knobs to define the low and up bands

Back