16 k for FOH - whats your preference?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abecedarian

Opinions please.  Medium sized venue. Live application.  Currently looking at Nexo, Meyer and EAW. 

http://www.funktion-one.com/

is growing really fast here (and all over europe) from what I know.
One friend is ordering a system from them and say they're very good to work with. They came up with various solutions for his needs.
He has a space that can be used as art gallery, performance space, concert hall and club, so they design the system around these criteria.

don't know what he paid though.

let us know what you go for.  ;)

nhaudio

Not sure of size of the rig you are looking for, but I've been installing and using D&B Audiotechnik a bunch lately.
Cannot beat the sound on these.  Amazing boxes.
dbaudio.com

I've also used Turbosound with great success.

Where are you located?
What size venue?
did 16K mean $16k budget?
are you looking for Line Array or conventional?

I can try to help if more details are given.  I've been designing live systems exclusively for the past 2 years now.

take care
Gil

Midas mixer
Drawmer Gates
TC & Lexicon FX
Martin Audio or AXIS Line Array
Radial DI's

nhaudio said:
http://www.funktion-one.com/

is growing really fast here (and all over europe) from what I know.
One friend is ordering a system from them and say they're very good to work with. They came up with various solutions for his needs.
He has a space that can be used as art gallery, performance space, concert hall and club, so they design the system around these criteria.

don't know what he paid though.

let us know what you go for.  ;)

nhaudio

+1 for these

BR said:
Where are you located?
What size venue?
did 16K mean $16k budget?
are you looking for Line Array or conventional?

Delray Beach Florida is the install location, Im in Miami.
Small venue - i can send a CAD file or PDF of the place
$16 for the FOH speakers only
Conventional.  Since the owner got me involved too late, we can't fly the speakers or rig them in anyway from the ceiling or walls. The designer had a cow when I suggested that.
So, I need something with a small foot print that is conventional and that can maybe be placed on a poll on top of a matching sub.

abecedarian said:
Opinions please.  Medium sized venue. Live application.  Currently looking at Nexo, Meyer and EAW. 

You might want to ask here: http://srforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/

Lots of sound reinforcement professionals.

JR

Hi,

What about Peavey Speakers? I have just attended the seminars of JBL & Peavey & i am really impressed with sound & Quality of Peavey.

Regards

+1 on D&B.. i haven't heard anything they make that sounds bad.

... what about L'Acoustics ARCS ? the're somewhat of a standard...

Meyer make very good speakers too :)

abecedarian said:
Conventional.  Since the owner got me involved too late, we can't fly the speakers or rig them in anyway from the ceiling or walls. The designer had a cow when I suggested that.
So, I need something with a small foot print that is conventional and that can maybe be placed on a poll on top of a matching sub.
I really liked how the nexo systems sounded that I used once.  We were outside and the little cabs sounded really good for the size.  I don't know how much they cost or much about the other systems.

Brad - they probably would have been the PS series nexos - pretty solid performers, not hard to make them sound good (providing they aren't underpowered - like anything).. the 15" PS15s are a popular choice.

D&B make a MAX15, which is similar power, but smaller box due to a concentric high driver - they're great floor monitors as well as FOH. Not having A/Bed them in the same room i'd tend to prefer the D&B over nexo... but both are good speakers.

Another factor is the cost of replacement drivers - worth factoring that in as it's likely you'll be replacing/recoiling/reconing the odd 15" or horn at some point - this can be quite expensive for genuine replacements.

nexo's with crown amps. installed two systems with this setup. both sounded great considering their small size. can get loud when needed and has deep bass even without subs (actually sounded better without the subs in one setup)

Hey abecedarian,

I'm in Orlando, and have a great rig here that may work well for you.
If you want you can send me the CAD files and I'll take a look at it.

give me a call and I'll describe the rig for you and if you are in the neighborhood you can stop by and listen to about 4 different systems we have at the shop that would fit your budget.

take care
Gil
[email protected]
407-579-1711

this is more from a musicians point of view. I've been touring quite a lot. My experience d&b is good but a bit cold, meyersound translates livemusik better with zero rock'n roll flavor, good for new music etc. Nexo close to d&b but warmer, I prefer it. My favoured soundsystem is has martin sound speakers, warm and full. very personal view on the things

nicholas

Back