ppa

Re: Modular multi channel DIY AD/DA Box
« Reply #520 on: November 13, 2011, 06:26:52 PM »
The schematic of the clocking board is done.
Please note that this is a version with the intionention of having it running after soldering meaning that you don't have to program a device.
We discussed DDS and Microcontroller based solutions prior maybe such a solution will come in the future. It would be nice but I've currently no concrete plans to go there.

Raphael

IC16 isn't a 4040 but a 4046

guitarguy12387

« Reply #521 on: November 13, 2011, 07:38:19 PM »
Last I heard, it was quite difficult to get adat chips from wavefont semi. Is that not true? Which chip are you using?

rkn80

« Reply #522 on: November 14, 2011, 07:55:30 AM »
Well I had no problems to get them. I just ordered them and three days later I had them on my desk.

Yesterday I finished the ADAT input board. I did a quick test on it and it seems to work: The error pin was going low as soon as I connected an ADAT stream to the board. With a scope I was able to see all the clocks and data streams that looked pretty much like digital audio. Therefore, the decoder seems to recognize an ADAT stream and decodes it. As soon as possible I'll connected it to an DAC and listen to it... ;)

Raphael

sr1200

« Reply #523 on: November 14, 2011, 09:25:26 AM »
Is the card taking the clock source from the adat stream or does it have an internal clock (or options for BNC word clock)?
MEI Studio - Long Island, NY: http://www.meirecords.com

rkn80

« Reply #524 on: November 14, 2011, 09:42:08 AM »
This card supports three clocking options:
- Recovering the clocks from ADAT stream (one ADAT-decoder is master)
- use internal clocking of the box by setting the ADAT-decoders as slaves
- apply an external word clock and build in a word clock PCB. I once made one but I had never the time to populate that board. Maybe I will in my Christmas holiday.

Raphael

saxtim

« Reply #525 on: November 17, 2011, 10:47:24 PM »
Raphael,

I've been following this thread on and off since the first post.  I'm personally interested in the ADC with ADAT out, which, if I understand correctly, is about where you're up to with the project.  I'm not sure I'm ready to take on this project just yet, so I'm wondering if it is likely that you will do more board runs in the future, or if the group buys that have already happened are it?

Thanks

Tim

« Reply #526 on: January 14, 2012, 06:36:18 PM »
How is this thread coming along? Any updates on the new pcbs - clock? ADAT? and mainboards??
Has anyone got a batch up and running yet?

rkn80

« Reply #527 on: January 15, 2012, 04:41:03 PM »
Hi,

an update of the current status of the project:
I'm currently busy with building a new box with 4 ADAT inputs and 4 ADAT outputs and 32 DAC and 32 ADCs on the other side, so 64 channels in total. The first prototype of the DAC part with ADAT input (for Lightpipes) is now built on a piece of wood and working. I'm now looking for a nice case for this new box. As soon as I've it I'll show it here. Next step to go is no the conversion from analog signal to ADAT stream.

Raphael

Majestic12

« Reply #528 on: January 16, 2012, 02:32:31 AM »
Wow...I'm quite curious about this....I've been looking for a good AD conversion with ADAT out for quite a time now.

ptron

« Reply #529 on: February 14, 2012, 06:59:02 PM »
how much would it cost to do 8 channel DAC ? i can get this adat card (looks great!!)

do you sell kits? do you also do the word clock card(kit) and power supply (kit) if possible? is there info about the build? im really interested.. i just dont have any experience on SMD.

with this could i just put it all in a lil rack with its 8 trs outputs?
would this work with my rme hammerfall?
thanks a lot
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 02:24:30 AM by ptron »
No, you are correct; $30k for coffee and occasional BJs is considered a good bargain stateside.

http://www.facebook.com/tronmusic

r2d2

« Reply #530 on: February 15, 2012, 04:46:42 AM »
any sound comparisatio with  actual "professional" ad-da  converters ?

peace
r2d2
..... Cracking D.Vader Firewall ...  II-)

rkn80

« Reply #531 on: March 07, 2012, 09:39:49 AM »
Hi,

so did anybody besides me build a unit yet? Many people ordered PCBs and kits, so I assume that there should be a few members who built a unit.
Anyway I'm glad to announce that I've finished the design of the ADAT output board and I'm now waiting for components etc. pp. and some free time to build it.

Raphael

ptron

« Reply #532 on: March 07, 2012, 12:59:09 PM »
is there still available 8 channel DA boards and an adat board?

what should i need if i want this configuration ? do i need another board to work as clock??

cheers!
No, you are correct; $30k for coffee and occasional BJs is considered a good bargain stateside.

http://www.facebook.com/tronmusic

rob_gould

« Reply #533 on: March 09, 2012, 12:02:23 PM »
Hi,

so did anybody besides me build a unit yet? Many people ordered PCBs and kits, so I assume that there should be a few members who built a unit.
Anyway I'm glad to announce that I've finished the design of the ADAT output board and I'm now waiting for components etc. pp. and some free time to build it.

Raphael

Hi Raphael,

My DAC and ADC boards are pretty much done but I need the mainboard and preferably the ethernet interface before I can use the project.  That's always how I planned to use my version of the project.

« Reply #534 on: March 09, 2012, 12:13:34 PM »
Hi Raphael,

My DAC and ADC boards are pretty much done but I need the mainboard and preferably the ethernet interface before I can use the project.  That's always how I planned to use my version of the project.

this is where i'm at too, AES gets impractical for me at high channel counts and i haven't had the itch to pursue further contact with audinate.  no sense in doubling up on anything you've already got a head start on.
There's nothing like the right tool for the job.
And -usually- that's what I end up using...
..nothing like the right tool for the job!

michal_k

« Reply #535 on: March 10, 2012, 04:37:13 AM »
I am thinking about giving an xmos based usb interface a go. Would that be useful for people out there? How many channels in/out do you need?

m.

Andy Peters

« Reply #536 on: March 10, 2012, 10:48:00 PM »
I am thinking about giving an xmos based usb interface a go. Would that be useful for people out there? How many channels in/out do you need?

Funny, I've been looking at doing the same. I have their multichannel eval kit and one of their simple processor kits, and the tools installed well enough on my iMac.

The real trick is actually understanding the processor and the XC code.

-a
"On the Internet, nobody can hear you mix a band"

rkn80

« Reply #537 on: March 14, 2012, 07:07:36 AM »
is there still available 8 channel DA boards and an adat board?

ptron, I only have one 4 channel DAC pcb left. For the ADAT there was no group buy yet. I'll offer that as soon as the ADAT out is ready and working.

what should i need if i want this configuration ? do i need another board to work as clock??

The basic configuration for you is: ADATin + DAC. You need only a power supply with +/-15V and +5V extra. You can configure the ADATin to be the master of clocking, then the internal clocks are recovered from the ADAT stream. The basic configuration can also be built with AESin + DAC. Then the AESin recovers the internal clocks from one of the AES-streams.

R.

rkn80

« Reply #538 on: March 14, 2012, 07:10:22 AM »

m.

Well a nice idea. I do not really understand everything of the amos products. I could snot find any information about the maximum channel count they support.
Anyway, since the ADAT boards support 32 ins and 32 outs it might be a good idea to design an USB interface with the same channel i/o configuration and the same pinout of the connectors.

R.

Andy Peters

« Reply #539 on: March 14, 2012, 06:12:08 PM »

m.

Well a nice idea. I do not really understand everything of the amos products. I could snot find any information about the maximum channel count they support.

XMOS is a processor family, and the channel count supported is more a function of USB bandwidth, and not the processor itself.

Anyway, since the ADAT boards support 32 ins and 32 outs it might be a good idea to design an USB interface with the same channel i/o configuration and the same pinout of the connectors.

I need to do some math, but I don't think High-Speed USB will support 64 simultaneous channels, even at 48 kHz.

-a
"On the Internet, nobody can hear you mix a band"