Any idea where I can get this meter

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flipside

SSL4000G_1.jpg

It kinda looks like this, but I don't know if it's the same:
http://www.hoytmeter.com/products/Models_17-L_and_560_Industrial_Meters.html

Photo belongs to http://www.diygallery.de/gallery/index.html

Attachments

• SSL4000G_1.jpg
    SSL4000G_1.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 5
First the only difference I can see is the head of the needle which is really nice on the original. The meter on the link you posted has a standard needle on it...
Second I'm not sure if this one is 'enlighted'? On the data sheet I just see two solder terminals. That would proof this speculation.

@3nity: Yeah gotta do that!

@osterchrisi: True, I didn't notice that at first. If it isn't, can't I light it myself? Just make sure the power transformer can handle it?

Oh and nevermind about the led, I've found several large ones I think will be nice.

Of course there are ways to enlight a meter! Depends on the housing of the meter as well as on your handicraft skills.
Like in case both is a bad condition, just drill a hole big enough to throw in a LED ;) Doesn't look nice on the inside but can works. But usually you should be able to open up the meter housing and try something neater.

And when trying to light up something with leds always remember they have quite a narrow angle of reflection.
You just gotta figure out, but sure there's a way to light your meter up!

/edit
Oh yes and don't worry for the power transformer, leds don't really draw a lot of current.

I was a bit unclear, the led was for the power-on light, while I was thinking more of a bulb or something for the meter :) But thanks for the advice on opening the meter and such! Almost have it all sorted for ordering all the stuff now. I think.  ::

I emailed Steffen a while back and asked him where he gets his meters.  He told me that he picks them up on eBay or gets them from here: http://www.surplussales.com/Meters/MtrDCMA.html

Lights can be added afterwards as long as there is a way to open the meter.  I just picked up a 100uA Weston off ebay with a 4.5" diameter that I added an LED into, by opening the meter, removing the back panel, and drilling a hole in it for the LED leads.  Then simply close it back up and viola!

Regularjon: Thanks! That helped a lot!

It seems what I'm after is a 4.5" Weston meter.. I'm only able to find the one with 3.5" diameter so far though, and not 4.5". Am I correct in that that 3.5" is a Weston model 301?
And, even if a meter is sealed, can't you just cut it open (To change the back plate) and weld it back together afterwards?

You also said 100uA, from what I understand it doesn't HAVE to be 1mA, you just have to make some resistor changes in the meter circuit to compensate for the different meter, yes? I found some info on it on the forum here so I'll read more about it.

EDIT: Did some more searching..
Look at this:

http://jlegerstee.trustpass.alibaba.com/product/234294573-0/Industrial_Meters.html

Here the scale says 0 - 1mA DC, so there should be possible to get the Hoyt Model 574 meters with specs that fit the GSSL compressor it seems. I can't for the life of me find a price or somewhere to easily buy it though ???

I'm perfectly fine buying a new Hoyt meter instead of an old weston meter, I just want it to be big and round. :)

I guess this thread should have been posted in the black market..?

Glad to be able to help!

Yeah, If you use a 100uA meter, you just have to add a 330R shunt resistor across the back of it.

That Hoyt meter looks pretty sweet!

Now I just have to figure out how to make custom faces for these things.
The Weston I got has a metal face that the scale is printed on.  I suppose I could print something myself and glue it to the original face, but I think it wouldn't look that great.  Steffen unfortunately didn't tell me how he makes his custom meter faces.  Because if you look closely at them, he has his custom logo but still has the original model numbers of the meter.  Maybe he paints the scales over with white paint, and then prints his own scale???  Would really like to know.

Just received a quotation:
The Hoyt 17-3 (2.68 inches) with VU meter A scale costs around $100 ($130 with illumination).
It can be supplied with a variety of pointers: knife edge, lance, tubular, spade.

Shipping to my country = $90

For an illuminated pair, it would be $350.
?!?!?!

Don't know you, but I think I will pass.

::)

Latest posts

Back