emrr in new Tape Op

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pH

Nice article on Doug Williams (better known around these parts as emrr) in the new issue of Tape Op.
Congrats Doug! We're fortunate to have you as an active contributor here.

Thanks guys, didn't know it had hit the streets yet!  Silly old interview from awhile back.  Amazing how long the mouth-to-press cycle is.  I'm definitely the 'pinch-hitter' among the heavyweights in that issue. 

Nice to hear that. What were you talking about in that interview? Is it one one page or shorter?
I checked Quimby where they are selling old issues. The last one they have is #49. It looks like it will have to become vintage before i can read it :)

Miha

Wow, #49!  I think it's #73 now.  It's 3 pages, almost exclusively about recording The Avett Brothers.  The writer wanted to focus on the last record I did with them, did the interview back in Dec, I think.  Seems like a million years ago. 

emrr said:
Wow, #49!  I think it's #73 now.  It's 3 pages, almost exclusively about recording The Avett Brothers.   The writer wanted to focus on the last record I did with them, did the interview back in Dec, I think.  Seems like a million years ago. 

I find it extremely strange that they didnt give more attention to your collection (and knowledge about it) of vintage american gear. It is not that i dont care about the band, but with all *sound engineers* we have today i would think something like this would be even more interesting.
This makes me remember CJs interview with Rein Narma. At that time no one wanted to publish it, but everyone want(s)ed Fairchild compressor...Hmm

Great Interview Doug, really nice read.
Will check that record, thanks

If anyone's interested nowadays you can read past Tapeop articles for free in the website.
The online subscription of the magazine is also free

https://tapeop.com/

https://tapeop.com/interviews/73/doug-williams/

Pair of B&K's  pointed at the lid of the grand with a baffle between was usual set up in the place I worked , we'd have the hammers mic'd too but that always sounded like 'hole in the head' stereo with certain notes way too in your face and some seeming distant ,  much better balance with the omni's .Proximity to the lid controls the amount of room ,
I forget who it was said it but , never put a mic somewhere you wouldnt put your ear ,thats not appropriate in every situation , but where you want a natural sound its a great starting point .

A decent upright like a C.Bechstien in good nick can give many modern cheaper grands a good run for their money , getting rid of the top and front baffles lets the sound hit the room way better too .

Latest posts

Back