Phantom power blocking caps??

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ihscoutlvr74

I was curious what guys far more experienced than I use for phantom power blocking caps on tube and ss mic pres.  I've been using 10uF electrolytics bypassed with .22 film caps on a couple projects.

Is it possible to do away with the electrolytics or what caps and values do other ppl use for this app?

Thanks, Nathan

Phantom blocking caps on tube pres are new to me; where would you put them? In front of or instead of a transformer?

Phantom blocking caps on SS designs have been discussed to death. Have a look at the METAs.

JDB.

I've never put a phantom blocking cap in front of a transformer coupled tube preamp.  There appear to be only a very very tiny percentage of specifically German input transformers that can get killed by the DC thump at turn-on.  Likewise, I've never used them in front of any SS transformer coupled preamps either.  The only rumors there concern some specific Neve iron.  ONly other thing I can think of is anyone foolish enough to wire phantom to a pre that's old enough to have a CT grounded input. 

You want a practical safety observation?  Have your pad turned on when you power on phantom.  Then you have 600-1K isolation resistors between the phantom and the input iron. 

Latest posts

Back