McIntosh C8 preamp as a mic pre?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coniglius

Anyone ever tried it? They have 100K "mic" inputs which are meant to be bridged or matched to a low impedance mic I guess according to the manual... I have not tried it yet as I haven't had a chance to whip up an XLR->RCA cable yet, but will be over the next few days. As a guitar amp it's got maybe the nicest sounding clean tone I've ever heard, next to maybe an AC30. I'm just curious if these have ever seen any use as "studio" preamps, even in novelty situations. I got two of them for next to nothing and would rather do something cool with them then sell them.

if it's like some of the amps, they have an octal socket for an input transformer.  Put input transformer of choice on and you're ready to roll. 

Thanks for the reply emrr! Going by the manual and my neophyte interpretation of the schematics, it looks like the octal socket on the C8s is actually analogous in function to that of a Leslie/early model Hammond preamp. A McIntosh power amp such as an MC-30 connects with a cable to the C8 via octal socket and supplies the B+ to the C8 and the C8 in turns sends its output signal to the power amp (or you can send the signal to another source if you like via RCA outs). You can also get a separate power supply so you don't have to use a power amp, but unfortunately that's the only function of the octal socket on the C8s.  :(

Latest posts

Back