Tube sockets for G9?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robomatique

Hello,

I am soon finished with my G9, but I ran in to a small problem. I think I bought the lab's G9 board, but it might be Gustav's, and I can't get the tube sockets to fit the board. The socket pins are flat and the holes aren's wide enough.

I have tried to find a socket with round pins, but I can't find any (and it is hard to see on small pictures on the net. Does anybody know where I could find something like this, preferrably in the UK or Europe?

I guess I could try to make the holes bigger but I am worried I will ruin the solder point in some way, the rest of the board is already stuffed and I don't want to loose it.

Robert

I think you can get sockets that fit from Farnell. The ones I have are from Triode Electronics in the US...

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen

Or you can drill the PCB holes a bit larger. Or possibly cut off a bit of the socket pin's width.

The problem is that there's no standard size for tube pcb sockets..

Jakob E.

Here is a twisted idea. Twist the pins a little while pulling on them. I have succeeded fitting them into boards this way while destroying only a few of them.

Thanks for answers ! :grin:

I have tried to cut the pins to a narrower width but that didn't work. I will give it a try to twist them, but I don't think it would work (I think I tried that).

If I am going to drill bigger holes I am just worried that the path would get destroyed and make a much bigger problem...

So if anybody knows of anything please shout, otherwise I will just see what I can do.

Thanks again guys! Extremely helpful as usual :grin:

Robert

[quote author="tk@halmi"]Here is a twisted idea. Twist the pins a little while pulling on them. I have succeeded fitting them into boards this way while destroying only a few of them.[/quote]

that made me fall of my chair :)

i just bought 4 of these and im stuck with the same problem.
actually i have two problems. they have extentions so you can screw the socket onto the PCB, and the way it has to be rotated to fit the pins is tough because theres other parts in the way.
then the pins are flat and wierd.

oh well

Regarding tube sockets. I am searching high and low for manufactures drawings for PCB 9 pin socket NOVAL R9A for 12AX7 / ECC83. In order to design a correct PCB layout an engineering drawings for a socket must be on hand. I have not found any such source for drawings - any leads would a great help .....

RF

I used a small file (the tool - not digital) :wink: and carefully filed each pin down until it fitted....

when doing mine, I took a cuttertool to make a dip in the pin, parallel with the edges of the pin. Then I folded the pin, using nosepliers so the result was a pin half the size with more connecting surface. Unfortunately a few socketlegs died in process, which I solved by soldering a twisted resistorleg to the leftover bit of the connector. These thru the pcbholes soldered to pcb. vwalla.

Tony.

Latest posts

Back