Drip Electronics Fairchild 660/670

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TornadoTed said:
Holy moly, what a project.

Sure, but is it worth starting a third thread about it?

http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=35582.0
http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=35598.0

(and http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=28274.msg437648#msg437648)

JDB.

Thanks for the links.  Who would have known those threads existed?  I never saw them... :-\  I just heard the announcement from Drip yesterday, so it's only natural to start a thread... I'm sure TT thought the same.

tommypiper said:
Who would have known those threads existed?

Not to sound too much like Mr. Grumpy, but that's what we have a search-function for, right?

JDB.
[and while I expect nobody reads every single thread here, Drip's stuff is popular enough that it's likely someone else's heard of it too]

Great Offering from DRIP, and a fraction of the cost of a real one which is also a epic breakthrough.

But unfortunately.... the $120ea (2-4 needed) 6386 JJ tubes and the $800 mono ( stereo $1600 ) Sowter Transformer compliment put this one out of many DIY budgets including mine. I'm sure there is a solution to this. Time will tell.

Maybe a adapter board kit with 5670, 12BA6, 6BA6, 6BC8 tubes will be made available as a alternative to the 6386 , similar in characteristics to the current Manley mod. ( pentode wired as triode as I understand it )

electrochronic said:
Great Offering from DRIP, and a fraction of the cost of a real one which is also a epic breakthrough.

But unfortunately.... the $120ea (2-4 needed) 6386 JJ tubes and the $800 mono ( stereo $1600 ) Sowter Transformer compliment put this one out of many DIY budgets including mine. I'm sure there is a solution to this. Time will tell.

meh, I don't see how it's so bad compared to buying a real one. Everything is relative. A mono unit is about the price of an expensive compressor you would buy new today. If i wasn't already bogged down with tonnes of projects, I'd definitely be taking this one on.

Im not stating anything out of the obvious, but didnt drip say that in order to build a 670(stereo) you need 2 sets of tubes and one set of the transformers? He said they will handle both channels. Im gonna build a could other things before i tackle this one cuz i am a striaght up noob :(

deuc224 said:
Im not stating anything out of the obvious, but didnt drip say that in order to build a 670(stereo) you need 2 sets of tubes and one set of the transformers? He said they will handle both channels. Im gonna build a could other things before i tackle this one cuz i am a striaght up noob :(
Maybe he meant power trafo?

Mitsos,

yeah I could see a power trafo , but the project also calls for separate filament transformers , could those be custom made as a group DIY from Edcor to combine the heavy 440V and 12V or 6v filaments all in one iron wind package, seems possible ?

Maybe group buy design using Altran or Edcor for the in/outs and interstage. Many possibilities, its still early.

seems there are ways to get the cost down here, thinking.

jdbakker said:
tommypiper said:
Who would have known those threads existed?

Not to sound too much like Mr. Grumpy, but that's what we have a search-function for, right?

JDB.
[and while I expect nobody reads every single thread here, Drip's stuff is popular enough that it's likely someone else's heard of it too]

Oh come on, what a waste of our time!  You ARE Grumpy!  Dude, if someone makes an announcement of a new product and it's just out within the last 24 hours, WHY THE HECK WOULD YOU DO A SEARCH????!  IT'S NEW!  IT WOULD NEVER HAVE BEEN DISCUSSED!  There would be no threads!  It has never shipped!  No one has built it!  There would be no threads to search for!

The fact that some members knew in advance that it was coming and were speculating, is extremely unusual, could not have been anticipated -- your argument that one should have searched in this context of a new product announcement is absurd!  It's illogical.  Furthermore, Drip Electronics is known to have left this forum and is no longer active here.  He doesn't even announce here!  Let poor TT make an announcement without biting his head off, Mr. Grumpy, please.  We appreciate the links.  Let's move on.

I think there is a current trend in posts of the
"Im too lazy to post a reply to your post, but I aint to lazy to post a reply to how lazy you are not to use the search function reply post."  ::)

TornadoTed said:
:eek:  :eek:  :eek:  :eek:  :eek:

Holy moly, what a project. Estimated build costs of around $4000 for a 670 but that is one hell of a lot of compressor for the money!

http://dripelectronics.com/home.html

I've been putting together my parts order for a 670 and it looks to be closer to $5000.  Pricey, but the same kind of money as a GML comp. for instance, with the added benefit that you get to put it together yourself  :D

Sorry to those I have annoyed for posting another topic when there were a couple already.

I did look at the first page of The Lab and couldn't see a thread and assumed it was such a new product that it would be on there.

TornadoTed said:
Sorry to those I have annoyed for posting another topic when there were a couple already.

I did look at the first page of The Lab and couldn't see a thread and assumed it was such a new product that it would be on there.
No big deal man. It would be bad if you had posted something like - "WTB - Fully built drip 670, for cheap!!" 

TornadoTed said:

I don't understand why you should be apologizing????
If people want to be annoyed about such an innocent post, it's their problem not yours.

If anyone should be annoyed at anyone's post, it would be the posts that I put up!  ;)

Taking the risk of speaking for someone else, I don't think JDB was annoyed. It's pretty standard "protocol" to call people out that post about something that has already been posted about (and in this case, very recently). I've been called out at least once. Does it help? Well, the fact that TornadoTed apologized tells me he'll search a bit more before he makes a new post again.  So, that's good. Then again, maybe in this particular case (a dream project for most here) it's almost expected to see more than one post? Anyway... it's a nice sunny day here. Hope it's like that for the rest of you.

People miss stuff!  Who cares?  A simple reply notifying the OP of the pre-existing thread(s) is sufficient, without resorting to finger wagging.  It serves the purpose of letting others know that there is a more robust thread elsewhere and not to dilute the discussion by spreading things around too much.

So there!  :p

Back