Hairball Audio: 1176 Stereo Linking PCBs Support Thread

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ethervalve said:
Yes I did use a couple sets of fets i bought from you.
I was actually planning on ordering another two sets of fets plus another stereo matching board set to add stereo capabilities to the pair of rev As I built last year.
If it's not too much trouble, I would very much appreciate it if you could throw in another couple sets of fets when i place the order. Thanks so much for the offer!

No problem.

Thanks,

Mike

thank ricothetroll,

your wiring works greats. Smiley
I know now why it did not work before.

Thanx for testing it !  ;D As I wasn't too sure of my modification and - as I had a lot of weird issues with one of the units - quite fed up with "debugging 1176", I just let the project in stand-by, waiting to have more opinions about it.

I see what you are saying and see the issue.

Yes you want wire the switch between the pot and the sidechain, so some creative wiring needs to happen on the rotary boards.  As you stated earlier you'll probably just want to wire pad 15 from the main board directly to the pot and keep it away from the ratio board.

You have it figured out, I'll stop confusing things Wink

Mike

Right !

Best regards.

Eric

Hello everyone,

I have 2 working 1176 Rev D units and I am trying to connect them with the stereo link option. I have the stereo link boards in and I am wondering what I should be expecting from the "front panel" operation. Does one input/output control both units? and do the attack release pots remain separate?

I'm trying to figure out what is normal so I can be certain this is done right...

Here is where I am at:
My voltage is right at +30VDC
Resistors have all been verified a few times
IC's are in the right position with the circle on the chip matching the board dot position
Caps are in the correct direction
Wired according to the Hairball schematic

Any help here would be greatly appreciated...

Josiah

you'll still need to control input, output, ratio, etc seperately on both units, however you may notice some interaction of the controls.

The stereo link connects the sidechain signal of both comps, but does not affect front panel operation.

Thank you John your reply is greatly appreciated...I got them working in proper order then.

Josiah Zamora

P.S. Studio owner Rich Ayres says thank you as well!

www.rivercityrecording.com

Hi guys !

I'm wondering where I will take the +30V...
Mike suggestes to take it near R87, a "+30V test point". But if you look at the schem, it make me think that you can take it near the output transformer's black wire. It would be much more simple : a molex to molex connection !
My question is : will I mess with the audio signal if I take some power supply here ?

Thanks for your inputs.

Ben.

Hi Ben,

The +30VDC test point is directly connected to the BLK output wire so it SHOULD work fine.

I'd give it a try and let me know.  I'll update the documentation.

Mike

Hi,

Although my dual 1176 working with stereo linking, I noticed a huge Voltage problem.
I have 28 Volt DC between Ground and earth!
I noticed that It because I wired the ground of the stereo link board to Earth.
I measured 4.6 K ohm between GND( Stereo link board) and +30 V ( stereo link board)
SO I think there is a problem somewhere...  ???

Is it normal?

Thanks a lot

Math

I think I've the same problem. I don't have time to look further yet, I wait to have my case finished... Maybe you'll find the solution before me ;D !

It is really strange because, although I noticed that the Ground of the linking board were not connected to Main ground  I have 28 volt between Ground (Stereo link board) and +30 (Stereo link board).

Mike any ideas  ???

thanks

I'm not sure what you are saying?

You have +28V between ground and the +30V on the stereo link board?  That should be normal.

Audio ground and chassis ground should be connected via the chassis.

Mike

Sorry, I Made a mistake. :-[

I have 28 volt DC between GRound of the stereo link board and main ground of 1176 boards.

Ground on the stereo link PCB should be wired to the main PCB ground, which would make a voltage differential impossible.

Unless I'm missing something?

Mike

I am so ashamed  ! :-[

Yes, the Ground of the stereo link board was not connected to main ground... so that like you said would make a voltage differential impossible.

Sorry for that, Sometimes I am little stupid.... sometimes  ;)

thanks mike.

Works perfectly!

I've been looking this over...and at the expense of being called daft...does the audio actually get run through the board??  I know the sidechain audio must be put through the board but not the actual audio?
Am I even making sense!
Thanks

AC

abechap024 said:
I've been looking this over...and at the expense of being called daft...does the audio actually get run through the board??  I know the sidechain audio must be put through the board but not the actual audio?
Am I even making sense!
Thanks

AC

You are correct, it's "sidechain audio" not the actual audio at the output.

Mike

I would like to get a recommendation on the optimal placement of the Hairball Stereo Link PCB in the Hairball Blue Stripe enclosure. Also, if you are setting up a TRS link between 2 units, does anyone of have images of their set up and wiring?

Thanks 

If the blue-stripe chassis is the same as the black chassis, here is a pic of mine:

10008190.jpg

I used two standoffs and mounted it from one side.  I only had to drill one small hole for each enclosure (use the last pre-existing hole and drilled the other).

On the TRS - simply swap the T and R connections on ONE of the unit's TRS jacks and use a straight-thru TRS cable to patch them together.

I put the link switch on the front panel.  That kept the additional wiring to a minimal length - not that this has primary audio on it - but you still want to keep the sidechain audio clean...

8)

Back