Hairball Audio: 1176 Stereo Linking PCBs Support Thread

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I totally hear you...it IS confusing at first, but I don't think anyone could really make it easier than the pictures around here....just trust yourself, your not going to permanently destroy anything if you hook it up wrong. You may be surprised what you can do!

Can anybody please confirm whether the link boards truly work or not?

There is plenty of information on how possibly the best approach'd be but rarely anyone saying that they're totally satisfied with its function / purpose.

Hm.. I think im finally going to get  around to trying to get this working this weekend. I have 2 working Rev F hairball 1176's and this kit. I just have not linked them yet. Has anyone every tried linked 1176's on their master buss?

atticmike said:

There is plenty of information on how possibly the best approach'd be but rarely anyone saying that they're totally satisfied with its function / purpose.

I don't think mike would put these out unless they worked.

buildafriend said:
atticmike said:

I don't think mike would put these out unless they worked.

good because i don't see a problem in the provided pfd, wiring the boards up.

Lots of people, including me, have them up and running.  It's the exact same circuit used in the MC77.  A lot of confusion comes from the fact that the stereo linking works in a very different way from the original 1176 linking "circuit".  It's also a bit of a tricky concept to understand.

I believe this way is better. Not perfect, but better.  They key is that you still have to play with your settings a bit on each channel to get them tracking in stereo.

Mike

I used these in 2 revD builds. The wiring can be confusing but if done correctly these work as intended.

I found that I had to match the FETs in both units very closely to get a pair of mono units to track correctly (i.e. a matched QUAD of FETs)
I believe I bought 50 FETs and carefully traced there curves to get four that matched closely. Now my pair off 1176s respond correctly either dual mono or linked stereo. 

As Mike (echo north) said, you sometimes need to play around with your settings a slight bit to everything tracking properly (in my case, the release pot especially). But after you take 15 seconds to get it up and running--it sounds great! I use my Rev Ds in stereo linked mode all the time.

Hi guys,

I really tried hard to be a good noob and read and read and search but I can't quite get my head around using the meter +8 switch(pushbutton) to put the stereo link in on my two rev a builds. Could anyone point me at a definitive set of instructions?
A couple of photos of the wiring on the meter board would be really appreciated.

Thanks, Rob

robertbonello said:
Hi guys,

I really tried hard to be a good noob and read and read and search but I can't quite get my head around using the meter +8 switch(pushbutton) to put the stereo link in on my two rev a builds. Could anyone point me at a definitive set of instructions?
A couple of photos of the wiring on the meter board would be really appreciated.

Thanks, Rob

I'd call myself quite the noob amongst those geniuses and had no trouble going by the official wiring document. All the wiring illustrations from board users were rather confusing than anything else.

hi guys :)

I just finished a 1176LN mono with hairball kit. I'm so happy ! :) Thanks again EchoNorth and all the guys helping me ! I'd like to build a stereo 1176 (revD) right now with this frontpanel :
DUAL1176UA-B.jpg

1 - Do you have some Mouser reference for the Power LED and mono/link - ON/OFF - Bypass/Comp switches ?
2 - Do you know where I can find knobs looking as the originals UA knobs ?
3 - Someone can post some pictures of the inside finished unit please ?

Hi guys I have decided to build a stereo 1176, well 2 actually one for me and one for a friend.
I obviously intend to use the stereo link kit and I will get matched pairs from hairball, but I have 2 questions.
1: can I easily make the stereo compressor use a single set of controls as opposed to having 2 sets of mono controls, or.would you suggest it's better to have them both available to help with adjustments for tracking differences?
2: which revision is best if I intend to stereo link? I see a lot of you using revision D. Does it make a difference?
Thanks

Hello everyone, this is my first post.  I have been on the site for awhile just reading and absorbing all the information on here.  I have been searching and searching and I have the same problem as germoju does.  If anyone has any information about the: 
1 - Mouser reference for the Power LED and mono/link - ON/OFF - Bypass/Comp switches ?
2 - Where I can find knobs looking as the originals UA knobs ?
3 - Someone can post some pictures of the inside finished unit please ?

Thanks.

Dan

Hey guys.  Does anyone have a list of voltages I should be reading at tl071 and tl072?  I am getting proper 30vdc to the 30v pad.  My 2 rev D's work perfectly in mono but when I flip the switch to stereo I get no gain reduction.  The meters do not show any reduction and there is no "actual" gain reduction.  In stereo mode i still get sound from both units just no reduction.  I wired it up exactly as on the hairball diagram, with the exception of mounting my switch in an exernal enclosure.  I used a dpdt instead of 2 spdt's and connected a TRS cable from each mono comp to the external enclosure, as well as jumping the 2 comps together with a TRS cable as proposed in the diagram. Other than the voltages if anyone has any ideas please chime in, thanks...

Thanks for posting that, but the link doesn't work for me.  I did find it searching the boards:

http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=29854.0

Latest posts

Back