Peerless 16402 OPT for Altec 436a

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CJ

GDIY Supporter
peerless made some good stuff, so wtf, over?  :D

i'm jus sayin...

2hrh8v8.jpg

wagner makes a good heat gun, the black and decker finally fried from too much stress,
too many dissections, if you need a heat gun at OSH, it goes something like this:

tool barn>electrical dept>paint dept, as these are used for paint stripping, go figure, but 29 bucks, so hey, wtf, over?

check this:

14topjl.jpg

pull that bad boy out>
oebcw.jpg

interesting guide pin semi WE type
notice anything differentabout the lam grain?>
amwoyw.jpg

other side, comes right out with the screwdriver>
ut09e.jpg

25k35zl.jpg

nice lam, eh?
laced 4 x 4, stretches the B-H curve out...
23if4ab.jpg

jig saw core
notice how the small holes let the polycrystaliene wax penetrat the lams
i thought it was for flux routing, but maybe not,
2w7olcl.jpg

the letter what?>
24gjcrs.jpg

coils, ...well doh!>
2e0vbk1.jpg

CJ,

Was it standard practice for a winder to splice a broken wire during a wind session to save it ?

or did they just just kick it to the curb.

Nice transformer binge lately.

"thou shall not splice"  is hung up in every winding shop,

unless it's 1/2 by 4 copper buss,  ;)

never seen one splice with all these dissections,

have i ever done it?

i ain't a sayin... ;D

Fantastic work, CJ. It's good to see you back. I just sent pics of this one to a friend, we have never seen lams of this shape.
What are those colors for?

tropical fish transformer, reminds me of the tropical fish non polar striped caps

were those bobbins wound on a rectanglar jig or is there a phenolic or plastic bobbin frame in the
middle or center ?

lots of paper in this design,

e0gwv5.jpg

282f14p.jpg

finish layer note the spacing,
8zr5o9.jpg

da chronic, here are the kraftpaper core tubes:

e9cazb.jpg

Peerless 16402

Pri: 10 Layers of #36, 240 turns per layer = 2400 turns per coil = 4800 total pri. turns.

Sec: 4 Layers of #29, 97 turns per layer minus 1 turn  = 387 turns per coil = 774 total sec. turns .

Turns Ratio:  4800/774 = 6.20:1

so why am i all freaked out about this?>
24gjcrs.jpg

because of this>

:D ;D  oh happy day,  praise the Lord of Transformer!

2hgbfqh.jpg

finally!  only took like 5 years, but hey..

i'm jus sayin...

we GroupDIY, we Bad

oh,  i almost forgot,  compare the wire gauges on the print, with the wire gauges posted for the dissection,

wtf, over?  ;)

nobody stamps that lam anymore,

mike at magnequest has about 50 lbs, but he won't sell it to me, i tried like 18 times,

if you want to build an output like the original, you have to take apart something else,

only problem was, until now, is which transformer out of all of them share the same lam,

i do not know how many 16402 xfmr's there are out there, possibly other models exist with that lam,

the utc L lam is the same size, from the ls series, but no rounded corners or wax holes, and material?

next i am going to wind a S 217 D using the core tubes from the dissection, should be a kick,

when i saw it wasn't a c core but a L lam, i didn't know weather to sh*t or go blind!  :D

hey Pat word up, G's down, chillin it , hey, you still have any pultecs ?

see if you can measure the inductance and dcr, you do not need to unsolder anything, just disconnect the output cable from the sec, and a cold vacuum tube will open up the pri.

i will diy a s 217 d on these 16402 = s 217 d core tubes, measure the inductamce and dcr against yours, it would be a step towards getting the real xfmr without evilbay ripping us off.

CJ said:
Peerless 16402

Pri: 10 Layers of #36, 240 turns per layer = 24000 turns per coil = 4800 total pri. turns.

Sec: 4 Layers of #29, 97 turns per layer minus 1 turn  = 387 turns per coil = 774 total sec. turns .

Turns Ratio:  4800/774 = 6.20:1
Hi CJ,

So was this 16402 wound 1/2 pri, 1/2 sec on each bobbin, or were the windings sectioned?
thanks!

that guy goes 2400T #36 pri then 387 #29 sec on each coil, connect F-F to keep both coils in phase,

i corrected the erroneous 24000 number in the post

cj

Latest posts

Back