Eden Mic Pre, GSSL Mods and other DIY boards from Expat Audio

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Leo,

great question. Should be compatible - folks tend to use one or the other

Do some googling for Super Side Chain Turbo. there are some hook up diagrams floating around.

/R

I am designing a switcher around the 3 Button Controller and have some questions:

1. If I use 3VDC relays can I drive two relays, 10 mA for both, directly from each board output?  I would be ordering the exclusive logic PIC so triggering two relays only at a time.

2. The output is selectable 3.3VDC or 0Vl.  Is that user selectable or programmed, and can the output handle it if I am grounding 12 VDC relays to 0Vl to activate them?

It's a great kit!
Mike
PS: Sorry, everyone's a critic, so my two cents is that the Mouser BOM is so cheap compared to the shipping that you could make it more convenient if you offer the parts for purchase, just like you offer the switches.  I would pay $6 to you rather than $8 to Mouser and usps for a $2 BOM.

1. If I use 3VDC relays can I drive two relays, 10 mA for both, directly from each board output?  I would be ordering the exclusive logic PIC so triggering two relays only at a time.

No, I would ALWAYS use an npn transistor and a reversed diode to take the reverse EMF. Expecting the microcotnroller to do that is a little risky. 10mA really is the max you can drive from the microcontroller.

2. The output is selectable 3.3VDC or 0Vl.  Is that user selectable or programmed, and can the output handle it if I am grounding 12 VDC relays to 0Vl to activate them?

It's fixed by the power supply for the MSP430 microcontroller that's used. If you need to switch higher voltages, you need to use an NPN and a diode.

See: http://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/blog/relay-switch-circuit.html for details.

PS: Sorry, everyone's a critic, so my two cents is that the Mouser BOM is so cheap compared to the shipping that you could make it more convenient if you offer the parts for purchase, just like you offer the switches.  I would pay $6 to you rather than $8 to Mouser and usps for a $2 BOM.

I understand. I've often sat and dreamt of doing this. I'll talk to the little company that does fulfilment for me to see if they could kit them up.

March 10th 2016
Updated Pricing  on Eden Mic Pre's until we exhaust current inventory!

http://expataudio.myshopify.com/products/eden-microphone-preamplifier

Single boards are down from $79.99 to $59.99

Quad packs are down from $239.99 to $199.99!

The pre simply sounds good , or should I say doesn't sound like anything!
simply works well ! as it should, the rest is up to you!

okgb said:
The pre simply sounds good , or should I say doesn't sound like anything!
simply works well ! as it should, the rest is up to you!

Thanks Greg, very kind.
We use words like "clean" ;) or "Engineers delight!" :)

Rochey said:
Quad packs are down from $239.99 to $199.99!
Quads are sold out. Will they be back as v2.1 ?

Any issue with using the JLM gobetween as frontend?

Hi Rochey,

I’m designing an "ultra low noise mic pre" based THAT 1580 as my final project for my college degree in Music Technology.

To achieve my goals I’m considering digitally controlling a THAT 1580 IC via a THAT 5171, so that I can keep the audio signal always on the PCB while at the same time avoiding noisy/expensive/mismatched dual-gang pots.

I’m interested in your three button controller board but I also need a rotary  gain controller for my THAT’s 1580/5171 based design.

Although I’m decent with analog circuitry, when it comes to digital circuitry I’m like Jon Snow – I know nothing.

How hard is it to implement such a fourth controller in your board?

Could you do it for me? How much would that cost?

Thanks

you'll need something that can convert between the rotary and the commands to the digital pot. use an arduino for a one off.

HI,

simple question... Where to find the 8 pins headers needed for building the Cavendish Board ? Any link, part number...?

Thanx

Pierrick

Back