We're not in Kansas anymore Toto. Or even Spinal Tap.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kiira

So I was working on this slow blues this morning and thinking how hard it is to play a slow blues really, like REALLY correct, right and how in awe I am of BB and Roy Buchanon etc and wishing I could get the tone I hear in my head  blah blah blah and I go out to the store for some soda pop and run into "Steve" who has a successful band (or perhaps "band" might be more correct, given the conversation that followed, which I thought some P-Pro cats would get a laugh at):

S: Hey Kiira. Been awhile. Sup?
K: OH, same old same old. I was just practicing some tricky slow blues. 
S: Haha, I don't practice. I don't need to play as well as you - I just play it right once and then sample it. :: laugh ::
K:  Yeah I'm wasting my time I know. ::laugh::Just stuck in the 80s when monster amps roamed the earth. 
K: So how's the band doing... James and Justin still with you?
S: No I fired them. It's just me and Nadine (wife) now. I got tired of dealing with the extra people, don't need the hassle.
K: Oh. So you're down to a duo, like, guitar and vocals? You all were playing dance clubs once. Goth metal Evanescence stuff like an all.
S: Oh we still are. I trigger the bass parts on midi and the drums, keyboards and some guitar stuff is all on backing tracks. Spent 4K on some wicked midi lighting that's all synced in.
K: Um. Er. Oh. Yeah. No hassle. (thinks: I HATE midi. remembering all the hours trying to get the stuff the work and giving up)
S: I hired a drummer though.
K: (brightening) Oh cool. How is he? I never could play without a decent drummer to get in the pocket with.
S: Oh he doesn't really play  at all. He doesn't know drums
K: (very confused). You ah, hired a drummer who can't play? I'm confused.
S: He's good looking and does flash so it's not all on me. All Justin and James did was play.
K: Oh I know. . That  is soooo annoying. (my sarcasm is apparently lost on Steve)
S: Maybe he'll learn to play some stuff sometime.
K: Yeah. (thinks: gee why bother when he can PRETEND to be playing. It's SO much less WORK).
S: Well, see ya Kiira.
K: Good luck on your gigs. (walks away with cartoon pinwheel eyes, feeling old and sad.)

Kiira

There is a fifth dimension, beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.

::)

that is pretty funny kira. When my last band exploded over creative differences, My and the bass player set out to try something a little different. We ended up with a guitar player and singer who replaced our old guitar player and singer in one person. So we down to a 3 pieces. You can jam the blues with us anytime... :)

Sad but True. Im just banking on my stuff being that much better. If I ever get my stuff together.

slow blues, is the shizzle. just imported the robert johnson stuff, which isnt actually very slow. but still real.

I saw BB king once in sarasota with my buddy whom I study music with and the third song they kicked in with a slow real blues jam that was transcendant. I think youd like it too.  greazy aint the word. (actually it is kinda the word for it) there is a viscosity to the sound that is fantastic. space is the most beautiful sound there is. not silence or ambience. space.

Latest posts

Back