Gap vs non gap Tranny

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simonsez

Another question from new bie,

What would happen if i use non gap tranny for BA283? I build BA283 for make up gain my summing mix(output stage only), but don't have tranny yet...for now i use PT (toroide), well...it's works and sounds good...but i'm not sure...Thank you...

The DC current flowing in the primary will saturate the core, affecting inductance and maximum level handling.

simonsez said:
Ok Rod, thanks...but is that can cause damage to the tranny?

It depends on maximum current rating of tranny you used. Damage to transformer is caused by heat buildup
from dissipation (which can damage wire insulation or core ). If tranny you used doesn't heat up after a hour or two of usage, I guess you are safe. By the way, if you don't drive "outside world" with that BA283, you don't need transformer. BA283 requires inductive load, so you can just use inductor that has adequate rating, and tap the output between inductor and 3055 collector.

cheerz
urosh

Thanks Rosh, I used it almost for a week and no heat at all, so i guess i'm safe. I tried it with resistor load, current source, and take the output from point F, I don't like the sound... too clean i think. Never try with inductor. Okay....i'll stick with my torodial PT for now  :-\

you are  forgiven.

but check the batteries in your smoke detector,  ;D

(of all the hair brain, crazy ass, off the wall, i mean, what is the worst core, by far, that you can run unbalanced dc, a toroid, right? it took rudy vanderedeen years to get a torroid output to work, mclyman had to insert a ring into a ring to get nasa off the ground, texas and louisiana have an outright ban on dc torroids,  well blow me over, whatever works is alright by me, ....good Lord, i still am having a hard time believeing that anything at all is coming out of that saturated toroid, )

Your words is like in the king arthur movie my lord  ;D...hard to me to understand...well it does work...for now.. :-\. i use 2A toroid tranny, 36v as P and 220v as Sec. I know it ridiculous..but freq response looks good (too good), 40Hz square wave is very good, and ....no smoke. 

CJ said:
try a few turns of #26 with minus dc to buck that field,

Well...I think i have problem to understand your words sir.... ??? ??? I'm glad if you can more specific, i know you're the iron man and i am just a slow learning newbie...Thanks...

When correctly biased, a BA283 will put between 75 and 80mA into the primary. That's a heck of a lot of DC for a primary to withstand, wouldn't you say?

Justin

We have a guy onboard here who has the tools
to convert any non-gapped transformer into a gapped one,
you knew that, right ?

nb1xxl.jpg

;)

Latest posts

Back