Adding transformer sound to my mic pre without modding the pre?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rybow

Hello everyone,

I was looking to add some transformer tone to my recording chain, but I don't want to go in and modify my mic pre to get it. I would just want to take the line output from my pre, go into a box with the transformers in it, and then the output of the box to my AD/DA. I was going to put 3 trannies wired to a 4 way switch so I could switch between different transformers for different colours. What are your thoughts on this idea? Would it be a simple matter of breadboarding 3 trannies, a switch, and 2 XLR jacks? Maybe adding DC power via a wall wart? Would I be able to get that transformer sound in this way?

Thanks in advance for all your help.

It would help if you would let on what mic pre you have. some will be happy driving a transformer and some won't or will only drive certain transformers.  the etc. part goes on for ever (and who's got time for that?) unless you are more specific.

Well, it's been done before, question is, as sleeper mentioned, what pre is it? Output impedance? Also, your transformer box will be all passive (unless you use relays, but there's no reason to do that unless you want to use a 1 pol 4 position sliding switch for your relay selection), so no need to power it.

sorry about that. I have a Universal Audio 710 mic pre. Output impedance is 600 ohms. I can post the full specs if needed. Thanks!

is that like a 610 only without the output transformer?

OT: i can hack a cinnemag John Hinson custom input for the 610 if you like?

different ratio, better sound, because it's hinson behind the wheel, capice?

i gots me the mu can off already, all i need is a place to cook,

i'm jus sayin...

Its kinda like the 610 and 110 combined but without the OT. There is a SS pre and a tube pre hooked up in parallel with a blend knob that allows you to blend the 2 together in different ways. What transformer values should I be looking at?

What is the John Hinson custom input?

I reckon if the thing is spec'd to drive 600 ohms then get some 600 to 600 transformers.  you should be able to push these a little bit and get some transformer driven sound.  get an old UTC or something and some alligator clips and see what you like.  Sleeper

Back