EMI-style mod instructions for altec 436a compressor @ ebay

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got a 436c, and I would LOVE to have that information!! LOVE TO!

One of the owners of my studio got his for $10 from the university of Oshkosh. Actually I used to work at Smart Studios in Madison WI, and the university of Madison has these flea market type things every friday for an hour. My old boss at Smart god a 436c for $1 from it. It worked perfectly too. They also got a perfectly working old 32 channel ADM discrete console for $100. They always had these old altec tube amps, filters, compressors for $1 to $5. It makes me miss living in Madison...

But yeah, we should try to suck the info out of this guy!! He has to have made his money back already!

Smart Studios... Didn't Urge Overkill do Americruiser there?

I'm not really an Urge fan, but that's a good-sounding record from what I remember (haven't played my copy in years).

[quote author="NewYorkDave"]Smart Studios... Didn't Urge Overkill do Americruiser there?

I'm not really an Urge fan, but that's a good-sounding record from what I remember (haven't played my copy in years).[/quote]

Yeah, that was well before my time. That was one of Butch Vig's earlier recordings that kind of got his carreer moving I think. I think that was done right before Gish. I was never an Urge Overkill fan myself...but it is a cool recording...

I had the same thought...though it would have taken at least two people to think that. So...who knows. It does seem an awfully hefty amount for some documents.

Unless the seller is trying to jack up the price by having his buddies (or himself under a different account) bid on it. Ebay doesn't like that, but it happens:

My father in law was buying an old Volvo on eBay (the guy's obsessed with revamping old crappy Volvos). He bid $300 and some guy kept raising his bid, until it hit $1000, then my father in law said "fuck it" and the mistery bidder won the auction...

A couple of weeks later, a third person listed the same exact car, with the exact same SN, using the exact same description and the exact same pictures, only there was no evidence of a transaction gone wrong! (no negative feedback on either the original seller or buyer)...

Anyway, back to work!

Peace,
Al.

Boy, it sure would be nice to have an output attenuator on the 436c. That has to be an easy modification. Anyone have input on how to do that?

[quote author="NewYorkDave"]http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=2229[/quote]

That's a great solution, thanks New York Dave! That way if I screw it up, I don't screw up my 436c! :thumb:

I have a 436C in great nick, but it distorts so much that it really isn't useable. A couple of folks have told me that that is just how they are, and that they aren't much good. From my experience with my unit I think they must be right.

Funny coincidence:

The guy from the eBay auction still has the pictures of two Auditronics channel strips on his site - these very modules are actually mine now. (Recognized the added output gain pot).
Scored them at his auction for like $125.00.
Great sounding eqs on these modules, BTW - see the three nice big inductors.

110e01.jpg

Whatever - sorry for digressing.
At least I can vouch for the seller being serious.

Michael

Latest posts

Back