EMI-style mod instructions for altec 436a compressor @ ebay

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used to have a pair of those auditronics modules as well, and the EQ's were very nice indeed! I think there was something wrong with mine though, as the Mic preamp always seemed too noisy.

Thanks for sharing that, Roger!

:thumb:

I would add a 10K/1W trimmer between R3 and R4, wiper going to the HT supply. This for adjusting stage balance.

Jakob E.

[quote author="Steve Jones"]I have a 436C in great nick, but it distorts so much that it really isn't useable. A couple of folks have told me that that is just how they are, and that they aren't much good. From my experience with my unit I think they must be right.[/quote]

Hmm, mine doesn't distort unless it's driven too hard. Mine has always sounded quite good. The only problem with it is lack of controls, and no output attenuator. Then again, I usually don't use it to do heavy compression, just knock of 4-10dB here and there.

much like was talked about b4 with fairchild stuff, Just because it's EMI and abby road doesn't mean it has to cost an arm and a leg. 150.00 is way too much if you ask me. I think he would be better off giving that stuff away for the better of audio community.

Not posting the schematics (please don't ask) but here's a bit more info:

http://www.revolutionrecording.com/RS124.html

Well bend me over and f me with a broom handle!
You just never know, do ya?
:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
:guinness: :sam: :guinness:

I can post the schematics. :razz:

Dang lurkers, why can't they find some other forum? :green:

Very interesting page, W. O'B. Although it would no doubt be fascinating to review the schematics, the description you gave conveys a pretty good idea of what's going on. I'm already feeling inspired by the "hold" setting on the release control; I think I'll add that to the comp I'm breadboarding right now.

Oh... And it's good to see you 'round again.

[quote author="NewYorkDave"]...it would no doubt be fascinating to review the schematics, the description you gave conveys a pretty good idea of what's going on. I'm already feeling inspired by the "hold" setting on the release control...
[/quote]

Yep, the 'Hold' is a nice thing to have as is the balancing scheme which works much better for quick 'in the field' calibrations than the oft' used back then- tap off the 6V3 heater winding.
Nice project you're working on there : )
Ciao.

Back