API logo trademark

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

conleycd

Hi there,

Does anyone know if the two diode like things in the API logo are trademarked?  I don't see any TM around them - I could be wrong.  I like to play by the rules - I don't want to infringe on someone's trademark if there is one.  But... I do have some Vintage 312 cards (really made by API) that I am in the midst of converting over to 500 lunch box pinout format.  I think it would be really cool to have the logo on the front panel (I won't do it if it's TM'd) and I feel someone justified in that it really is an API product behind that panel - not a clone (I love clones don't get me wrong).

Any thoughts?

CC

JohnRoberts said:
Perhaps design your own trademark.

but then it would be stupid to put your own name on a case with api guts inside right  ;D

I would never put any company's logo on a case unless it's just racked modules.

To me it sounds ok to refer to a brand on the case when there's the actual circuitry inside (no clone)
If there are no legal problems ofcourse...

How about putting this on the front panel ?

(API-logo)
circuitry inside

The circuitry inside the case being original is irrelevant.  What you are doing is producing a finished product. Hence, you can not use their trademark on that finished product. Effectively what you are doing is counterfeit and illegal.

you could just be like vintech and write "made from API components" 

Although maybe they mean that there are 1,272 components inside the box...

mitsos said:
you could just be like vintech and write "made from API components" 

Although maybe they mean that there are 1,272 components inside the box...

HAHA!
That's probably the more accurate way to describe what's inside a Vintech.

Just to be clear.  If the diode looking thing IS trade marked - I would NEVER use it on anything.  I maybe haven't look hard enough but I don't see "TM" by the logo on API's current documentation or even their website.

They trademarked their knobs but not their logo?  If someone knows if it is trademarked  - let me know - > end of discussion.

If it is NOT trademarked then I was thinking of putting it on the 1.5" 500 series panel.  Behind the panel is an actual API 312 card (logo and everything) - so I'm not spinning a clone as the actual thing - it IS the actual thing.

But I respect people's opinions a lot on this board and know that many designers hang out here (even secretly).  I'd probably go with the consensus whether or not the logo is trade marked.  I think the consensus so far is "no".

CC

The API logo is trademarked. It's right there on their website. Look at the TM.

bann_api_logo.jpg

owel said:
The API logo is trademarked. It's right there on their website. Look at the TM.

bann_api_logo.jpg

Ah... an there it be.  Thanks.  It is just quite small there - I didn't see it.  Well - so much for that...

CC

Interesting that you say "diode" thingy logo. I always thought it was some sort of play on an opamp symbol on a schematic. Could be a play on a diode too.

I had a graphic artist friend help me with my little logo "thingy". I have had a few tell me that I may get sued by API for stealing their logo. I'm pretty sure that can't trademark a triangle. Mine is more clearly a spin off of an opamp symbol than theirs (IMHO).

I say create your own. Make it similar, but make it different enough to not get you into court!

Cheers, Jeff

Hmmm, it probably is a play on an OPAMP come to think of it because the line for the diode isn't there.  I was just thinking but it could be cheesy to just make the logo into diodes instead of what they are now.  Ha...  I don't think your logo looks like APIs.  Jeff, your stuff is a great addition to DIY.  I still need to make my purchases from you - actually to complete my API 312 re rack to 500 series format.

CC

JohnRoberts said:
Perhaps design your own trademark.

Hmm, there we have another issue if we want: the use of the word 'designs' in the various DIY-company-names we
see around here *.
I don't mind, but it may often be more appropriate to describe it
as 'adaptations' or 're-use'.
Which is perfectly fine to do of course, but I'd say it's then an application or adaptation of
some unit (say BA283, (G)SSL-comp etc), and not so much of a design. It's a grey area of course, where does 'tru design' exactly start ?

But hey, we live in a world that has more business cards stating 'manager', 'producer', 'artist' than that there really are,
so...  ;)

*: Please don't feel offended if you happen to have this, I don't mean to target anyone specific

You can always learn from the Chinese, instead of Ray-Ban there is Ray-Boy and so on, so Instead of Automated Processes Inc. you can always do Advanced Product Inside or some crap like that, instead of the amplifier symbols in their logo you can do regular diodes or  Schottkys or Zeners hahahaha

When it comes to api it is a pia. They will go after you, even if their knobs were originally oem. Best to not bother and go for something else.  Maybe 2 diodes in opposite directions 🤔

I never understood the praise for API products, all API product owners that I know are sick and tired of having to replace burnt opamps, most of them replaced them with something more reliable like 990Cs or similar, the sound is ok for drums but thats it. Around a decade ago I restored an MCI  JH528C console for a local studio, after a while they "upgraded" to an API console, shortly after that they sold the API and went back to the MCI and they have been using it ever since. They told me they missed the headroom and the rock n' roll sound of the MCI console. The MCI had a lot of issues, like most of them do, intermmitencies, dirty pots and switches, plus the MCI console is a convection oven, yet, they prefered it to the brand new API.

lulz...stop instigating!  ;D ;D  Actually...that's pretty good edge-skirting.    Inverting opa...B instead of P....  I see what you did there!

Back