Fender "Jewel" light on API Clone not working

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nyoung

Hey guys, I've been a lurker for quite a while and I'm finally fed up with my 312 pres not having the light work.  I know this seems so petty, but every guy that goes to use it asks me whether it is really on or not.  Time to fix that!  I am using an Avel Lindberg y236106 (30 0 30) to a ssl9k ps.  This give me the +/- 18v and 48v.  I'm powering four 312s and they sound BEAUTIFUL!  The bulb that I'm trying to illuminate is a AML - 47.  It's a fender style light bulb that runs off of 6.3v at .159 amp.  It is a 1watt bulb.  How should I hook up the light?  Should I drop the voltage directly from the toroid (30v) or take it off of the ps's 18v?  Should it be a "voltage divider" network?  If so, do my resistors need to be 1 watt?  I'd appreciate any information anybody can provide me.  Thanks a million!

Neil

Your "AML - 47" is a ba9s bayonet bulb I suppose?
You can find all kind of ba9s bulbs, filament, neon, led... in any kind of voltage.
If your 48V ps is able to deliver enough current, hook up a 48V/40mA bulb.
If not, go for a led version, or use a 130V bulb on the AC switch...

If you want to stick with the 6.3V/159mA, then your dropping resistor needs to stand 0.159 times the voltage diff between 6.3 and the incoming voltage.
For instance if you use the 30V AC, then: 30 -6.3 = 23.7 and 23.7 X 0.159 = 3.77 Watts!
Such a waste of power isn't it?

If you don't want to order parts, forget about the ba9s bulbs and use a regular led behind your Fender jewel... use the 18V rail and appropriate 1/2W resistor.

Axel

Thank you so much for your reply.  That helps me understand why things are getting SO hot!  I ordered some 120vac LEDs today.  I'll followup just for good measure when I get them installed.  Thank you again!

Neil

you just use 3 in series, one for power, and get creative with the other two,

back lit dial plates, rear of chassis illuimination for ease of cable hookup, pop tart heater for breaks, 

you put a clear jewel on the rear lamp and you will never trip over the long fettucini again.

it is not for being cheap on  the right bulb, it is just that there are 10,000,777 ge #47 out there,

i'm jus sayin...

Back