UTC Ouncer 0-8 Transformer

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CJ

GDIY Supporter
if you need an ounce, mon, then see the rasta-ouncer mon.

jah! mon, twinkle bros on the cue, ............mon.

8) seriously, this is the companion to the ADM Output that died, so we can fill out the pic list,  8)

29279u8.jpg

2e3u89j.jpg

rasta ouncer gets constipated, mon.  its da opiates, mon.

because before success manifests, you have to go thru the learning process...

jz6vlz.jpg

nlx06f.jpg

jah, mon! secret message from cool winder from the 70's, mon...

x0wi2d.jpg

seen this once before, different material on the smaller half,

11h6kd3.jpg

ok, see you at the neil young bridge school benifit, jimmy bufet, sheryl crow, glen stefani, chris martin,

2vaxmog.jpg

we have the core at 18 lams of 24-25 mix, now we need the coil.

but looky here, the data is all screwed up on the UTC data sheet, i thought i had a broken lead but No!

these copper foil markers i used in a pinch are turning out to be the real deal,

you can solder and engrave them, making them imune to the heat gun,

nothing is worse than watching a piece of mylar tape flying off into the sunset, or melting completely.

ve3gvd.jpg

great stuff CJ. same lams as the 2622? Any idea why they would mix the lam material?

since this is an output transformer, you need to handle more power, so the compromise with the silicon.

what i want to know is who gets the ouncer with the short lam Ni and the long lam Si?

or do they combine the parts to make a new model?

here are a few pics of the coil, notice the sloppy winding job,
2823moo.jpg

they cross over to start the first layer>

Pardon my ignorance, but what exactly is an "ouncer"??  I have a pair of TRW/UTC O-4 ouncers - picked 'em up off e-pay a few years back just cuz they were cheap and looked interesting.  They are 15K-60K "plate to grid", so evidently they were intended for use as a tube interstage, but they're tiny little things...  I doubt they'd take much signal level (in fact, another odd thing - they're marked "max level +8DBM" ... would it really be dBm?? strange unit, for audio).  Still, the meaning of the term ouncer is not familiar to me. ???

Hi,

It was actually their model/trade name-

check out page 2 of this PDF

dBm is the standard level referring to 1mW into a 600R load (i.e 0.775V). Used in broadcast for years in days of 600R sourced/terminated lines. dBu (unloaded) is the modern approach (i.e. assuming negligible loading with >1:10 source/load impedance ratios) still usually with reference level of 0.775V, unless otherwise notated.

Mark

Ah, trade name...  ok, that makes sense.  Thanks for the datasheet / catalogue pointer Mark.

I associate dBm to the context of RF so strongly that I had forgotten the 600 Ohm roots of dBu's definition - I simply think of it now as 0.775V referenced.

- Chad.

if you throw it against a wood fence and it cracks a board, it is usually good for 10 db.

if the board breaks, and it goes into the neighbor's yard, thats 16 db.

yeah, i got shut down by the OLEAUT32.dll file.

two weeks off the net due to dll hell. OS re installs can be a bi atch.

always have a backup comp ready to go so you stay out of FEd Ex office,
formally known as Kinkos.

it is surprising the responses you get when you ask folks if you can use their almighty computer for a download.

the horror on their faces, even close family and friends, it's like a switch is turned.

hey guys, i don't want to play with your penus,

I JUST NEED TO BORROW YOUR FRICKIN COMPUTER SO LIGHTEN UP!

rant off. caps off.

:mad:

:D

loser me for still running win98/

almost bought a win 7 box with one of those siilly flat screens that iritaes your eyes, but cool now.

UA176 /176 used Ouncer 0-1 as input (post attenuator)
I have only seen 0-8 as input on th ADM (I have some dead ADM outs, and a mystery Haufe or 2 if you need any donors CJ)

Uck.  DLL hell.  I'm glad I don't live on windoze any more.  (yeah, I used the term "live" deliberately)

So the other confusing thing about dBm as a unit, is that it's technically a power-level referenced scale (mW).  So if the impedance is not 600 Ohms, you get something whacky.  Like +8dBm at 15K is 308Vrms!  A tad high for this little transformer, methinks...  If I remember my magnetics theory correctly, the core flux level is proportional to Volts per Hertz, so the correct way to rate audio transformer signal levels (assuming performance is core saturation limited) would be a voltage-referred scale, no?

- Chad.

Latest posts

Back