The Sontec thread! <ATT. BUILDERS - C22 & C23>

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not sure but the filter on Sontec looks like what they call Twin-T filter, but I can be deadly wrong here...

I am finally back at this unit. Just took it apart and began to test the filter boards. Just started on channel 2 and all filter boards pass audio when they are connected to the amp board only one each time. Right now i am in the process of testing them together. So far i connected filter boards c-e and all run. On filter board E i get quite some oscillation when setting the frequency pot to the highest frequency and then crank the level pot.
I will look into that later, right now i want to test all filter boards if they pass audio.

Channel 1 is still dead but i will look into this after channel 2 is working. It just seems like channel 1 has more problems so i try to fix the channel with less problems to have one running channel to compare.

Flo

Ok finished testing for today. Seems like Filter board A on channel 2 is the culprit. I connected filter boards b-e and everything was ok. When i connected filter board A it immediately started to distort. So i will disassemble the filter board and try to find the mistake.
But it's good that there now is some progress with this project. :grin:

Flo

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Someone is finishig this!

Don't forget to post pics !!! :grin:

Yeah it's warm here too so my motivation to test isn't actually that great (plus i really need to practice guitar more but the heat isn't a good thing while practicing).

I only listened to the oscillation. I just tested if the unit passes audio and heard it while turning the pots. It was quite hearable :green:

Flo

So if you live in here will never do any DIY.... :)

Flo, the channels that are working are stuffed with Melcors?? :razz:

Come on lazy boys! :grin:
:sam:
Fabio

hi folks, do ya think is possible to use the neumann boosting amplifer V472
like a amp section for the sontec filter section ?
wat do ya think?
http://www.gyraf.dk/schematics/Neu_472.gif

Fabio all my channels are stuffed with Melcors.

My second channel now passes audio. But it's quite a bit distorted and i also got some hiss.
Channel 1 still got some problems. Sometimes my "+" voltage drops from +18V to -0,9V and after some time a resistor from the melcor on the filter board d starts to make some smoke signals. :shock: At the beginning it passes audio very distorted (with no filter board hooked up) but stops working after a while. After that the resistor starts the smoke (the filter boards are all hooked up to the voltage supply).

Man this really will be some work :shock:

Anybody got any tips about how to best tune the bias settings on the filter boards ?

Flo

Flo,

A good pratice, when powering up stuff, is:

1) Left the amps out
2) Turn it up
3) Measure the DC voltages on the opamps pins (on the sockets). Here check if you got the right +V -V Ground must be ok.

gotta go!!! I´ll think about more thinks later
cheers!
Fabio

I sure hope somebody gets one up and going soon. :grin: 'Can't wait to get reports on how they sound. I'd really like to try this project if I could just free up some time.

Great Jaakko! pics pics pics pls!

Looks like some local guy has completed his unit, but he doesn´t have a digicam... :roll: .

Fabio

Awesome Jaakko!!

I can´t wait to see this - all those 992s man its going to look sick!

Just curious Fabio - but once someone gets this running and the project validated, will you be doing another run of boards for this (still got some left??)...I´ve got some cash now and would be very interested.

Cheers Tom

WOW!! Jaakko! Looking great..... :cool:

Neat idea with the mounting modules - am I right that just the force of the switches screwed to the front will hold the modules in place?

You have implemented Rogys peak/shelf idea and your cut/boost switch - have you got these working on the bench with audio going through the filter cards yet?

Cheers Tom

:grin: :grin: :grin:

I'm speechless Jaakko... beautiful job there!!!
I love the solution on the rack case, very nice!!!!!

TURN IT ON PLS!!!!

:sam: :sam: :sam:

Back