Is this supposed to be a joke?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikoKensington

http://cgi.ebay.com/Universal-Audio-1008-vintage-mic-pre_W0QQitemZ260497256140QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3ca6d8aecc#ht_500wt_933

this is an original 1008 chassis wired as a zero gain amp.  it is set up as a passive unit.

wouldn't be too hard to build up a active tube unit if you have their tray.

Because the tray is the vital part of the circuit.  ::)

also known as a dummy plug.  no joke.  Note the broken off pins on the connector; no building an active unit on that. 

I get what it is.  You can see the connector looks jumpered, too.  But don't you think the description is overselling it's potential?  :D

oh, yeah, quite a bit.    As a woodworker at the state fair said, "I can sell you this log, and call it a wooden spoon starter kit."

placing a hand selected zero ohm resistor across the right pins could change this zero gain amp to a zero sound amp. Cheap mod for 100% potential difference in sound.  ;D

My boss would have me write copy like that 'cause he knows it'd move some worthless piece of junk at a profit.

I'd pay something for it, if the connector wasn't broken.  Maybe even as-is, since it would fit RCA and Altec rack frames from the 1960's.

I'll be selling on the White Market a Zero-Gain preamp...  I call it the Zilch Preamp.

with built-in Male and Female XLR jacks on each end.  (no more big bulky boxes, 100% Energy Star - does not use electricity or batteries)

For me it looks like a very clever and original All-Pass Filter (a.k.a "Cut Nothing Filter"). Someone should model the circuit in LTSpice and publish the results here. I'm wondering if this circuit has been patented,would be a great commercial product...

.  . . .  . and from the same seller:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Gates-rca-fairchild-LPF_W0QQitemZ260499261662QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3ca6f748de

He says:

these are custom made, vintage passive 600 ohm,  switchable low pass filters at 4k, 6k, and 8k. they have a 1/4" input and output jack.

the cans are sealed and nicely made with no name but a part # P-79637.  [they are the same color of old rca stuff ??????]

great sounding on any track.  take some of the digital crap out of your recordings with high quality passive components.

tested good.

Ok.  So the color is RCA. Got it.  What about Gates?  Fairchild?  Oh I know  I know - must have been that jemco label maker Fairchild used in their custom department for high profile work.

"Take the crap out of your digital recordings" ???  With a low pass??  Not bagging digital but the rap is usually that digital has trouble producing adequate high end response in the first place.

Probably a useable unit but talk about stretching copy for a sell.

Latest posts

Back