pentode output stage for prr varimu?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mich

Hi,
i want to try to convert a tube transistor tester into prr's varimu.
since it allready has the tubes/sockets and PS - i thought of going all tube using the 6au6 pentode as the output stage.
how does this plan looks to you?
prrvarimu4.jpg

HI, I guess 6au6 (or even an EF86, as on your schematic) may present a very High output impedance to the outside world... To achieve the about 20db gain and usable output impedance of the original 5532 stage with tubes while keeping the design quite simple, I think I'd rather use a low/medium mu double triode (such as a second 12AU7) and go for example for a grounded cathode stage for voltage gain followed by a cathode follower , or a SRPP stage, like on the output of Gyraf's Gpultec, or the one of the G9, or the Slowblow...
You could achieve enough gain with the 6au6 triode connected, and a more useable output impedance, still not very good, but perhaps good enough for a 10k soundcard input...

But I guess you have the 7 pin socket, and the 6AU6 already in the box... I don't know any 7pins double triode... but I think swapping a socked shouldn't be a big deal...
Or, perhaps you could find an esotheric old 7 pins small power pentode with low enough Rp... ( but I'd expect a fairly high THD) .

Laurent.

Thanks laurent,i guess it makes perfect sense to just swap the socket to a 9 pin and use the cathode follower.....

anyway i think i'll try it triode conected just to hear how that sounds...thanks again

Latest posts

Back