AKG 414 B-ULS with hiss ... can I fix it?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CAS

I dropped an AKG 414 B-ULS the other day and now it appears to have lower output level and a bit of higher-end hiss compared to my other 414 ... with which it used to be previously well-matched.  I notice in DIY that there are a lot of experts on the 414 ... is there anything I can do to repair this mic at home instead of shipping it off for a $400 new capsule?

Thx,
Chris

Open it up and see what was damaged.  I you do not see an damage you need to trouble shoot the circuit and parts. 

As posted by a2d how do you know it is a damaged capsule?

If you are confident, you can swap the capsule to the other mic and see if the problem follows the capsule. Otherwise have a
mic tech do it. handling capsules can be risky and expensive if you lack the experience.

nevertheless this is a lot of work to test a capsule, but its better than paying a tech for $$$$$$ to tell you if you can confirm it yourself.
If it is the capsule you can save a few $$$$ on buying a replacement direct from AKG and install it on your own. I believe the teflon transducer is the one we are talking about.

there is probably a way to test the capacitance of the capsule and compare it to the good one. capsules are like capacitors.

Also , check those little plastic pattern and rolloff switches. If it fell to the ground it may have damaged one.
there real easy to break.

After a drop , It is not likely to be a capsule, but I would be surprised if it was. I've seen those mics with drumstick dings
in the grills and they still escape what seems certain death.

if uncertain, as a starting point, try posting a pic of the capsule or mic insides so members here can help you possibly spot a problem.

Thanks everyone.

I opened the two mics and there is no noticeable damage.  They look a little different inside, but from what I can tell from looking at info on the Web, this is not unusual for the C414B-ULS.  Interesting idea to switch the capsules (to see if the hiss follows the capsule) ... to do so I need to do a bit more disassembly and some unsoldering.  No problem ... just wondering if there are any diagrams/instructions for disassembly of this mic on the Web.  If the noise follows the capsule, then I'll need to replace it.  I guess I'd have to buy that bad boy from AKG-USA.  If the hiss does *not* follow the capsule ... then it gets interesting.  Having two mics allows me to switch out various components and sub-assemblies.  I don't relish doing that because the components are densely packed.

-Chris

first link using "AKG 414 B-ULS schematic" in google
http://www.akg.com/mediendatenbank2/psfile/datei/51/c414B_ULS_412c87df992e6.pdf

Back